potential pet owners

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All of our animals have been rescue pets. Here is our recent pick up from the Pittsburg Animal shelter. She is at the Vet right now for Kennel cough, and should be home today. Her name is Gretchen, and if not a full breed, she's very close to one. Border Collie. Very lovable, very friendly, an protective(not in a violent manner), and is doing well on the crate training. She does get along well with our cat's.

She's a beauty! How can anyone abandon a lady that pretty?

Good on you for giving her a home ldp.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
She's a beauty! How can anyone abandon a lady that pretty?

Good on you for giving her a home ldp.

The paperwork on her stated she was turned in due to owners moving out of state. She only had one more week and she would have been put to sleep. She's only one year old. Went to see her this morning, she's doing great and will be home this afternoon.

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
now thats a frisbee dog!

All of our animals have been rescue pets. Here is our recent pick up from the Pittsburg Animal shelter. She is at the Vet right now for Kennel cough, and should be home today. Her name is Gretchen, and if not a full breed, she's very close to one. Border Collie. Very lovable, very friendly, an protective(not in a violent manner), and is doing well on the crate training. She does get along well with our cat's.
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

coveyjt

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree wholeheartedly.
Our three babies live in the house and sleep around us and sometimes with us, if it's cold.
Our first is a boxer, Powder, we rescued from the Midwest City animal shelter when she was 1 1/2. She will be 11 this November. She had a collar and tags but the owner never came and got her even after several phones calls.
Then we got a black and white cocker, Barkley. We got him at the Pets and People in Yukon. He was 1 1/2, and will be 9 next month. Both are the sweetest things. Real cuddle bunnies.

Finally is our cat. Our next door neighbors abandoned her and her litter mates. She was the only one that survived. She is a terror and I think she has brain damage, or she is just a cat, I dunno.
2051095099_46d0a14895_o.jpg

4323166418_af60700a0a_b.jpg

Last edited:

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with a rescue dog if you are just looking for a companion. But I doubt you'll be winning any shows and you'll have a much harder time getting any working titles picking something out of a shelter. The issue here is the backyard breeders that will mass produce for profit. They don't invest much into the parents, the puppies are gone ASAP to keep costs down and anyone with cash is welcome to buy.

A reputable breeder does it for the love of the breed, not money. The investment is heavy. They'll build their names over time and supplement themselves by judging or training. Then they still either have regular jobs or a supportive spouse. Then when you go to their house you see these dogs are their entire lives. Do they make money? Of course they do. Take an average of 8 puppies at $300-500 profit each for 2-3 litters per year. Anyone making a living off that?

My wife and I have two dogs here. My wife has a 5 year old weenie dog. We paid dirt for it and got our money's worth. My puppy will be 8 months old on Friday. I paid a pretty penny for him last fall. The breeder invested a pretty penny in the entire process. He won't simply be a house pet. I doubt any of his littermates end up at a rescue. Potential buyers are screened and interviewed. Some potential buyers receive home inspections prior to deposit. The breeder will accept any puppy back at any age for any reason for the specific reason that they don't end up in a shelter. There is always a waiting list so there are no litters where a puppy may not be placed. In theory, if there aren't buyers waiting, then there isn't a litter produced. But at this stage, the breeder is established to the point that this is not a concern.

I like people who rescue dogs. It's like adopting a child. But don't hate on all breeders or all the people who choose to buy from a breeder. There is a wide spectrum of people who buy/sell dogs. For my wife's dog, I would have not had a problem with a rescue. For my dog, that was not an option.

ZombieHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dog was more than likely abused in multiple ways, and then abandoned near me in the SW OKC stockyards area, she was emaciated and dehydrated, almost the worst I had ever seen in a stray, I saw her in the bushes walking home from a little chinese market down the block and around the corner of my house, I saw her and when we locked eyes she darted straight to me wagging her tail, as soon as I saw her big brown eyes it was a done deal, I picked her up and brought her inside, went and got some doggy essentials and the next day took her to the vet.

Despite the way she was assumedly abused (broken front 2 paws and scared poo-less of baths in a bathtub, Think she was held under water) she is the most loving and personable dog, she talks to me like freakin chewbacca from starwars, and if I am gone out of town or overnight, she is the best guard dog from what my wife tells me, just a great addition to my family and we hope she gets to stay with us a long time, she is almost a year old now, found her before she got her adult teeth and first heat, she was only a few months old max.

ai570.photobucket.com_albums_ss150_ZombieHunterPatriot_Nayla_HPIM1307.jpg

ai570.photobucket.com_albums_ss150_ZombieHunterPatriot_Nayla_HPIM1384.jpg

ai570.photobucket.com_albums_ss150_ZombieHunterPatriot_Nayla_HPIM1310.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom