Practical Shooting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gebrown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did my CCW today at Practical Shooting. Great class and Awesome instructor! Wes did a great job and the new guy Greg was cool too.
I'd highly recommend Practical Shooting.

I'm planning on taking a couple more classes with them.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did my SDA class with them too. It was poor and heavy on pushing their other classes. I often felt like I was at a time share meeting. Wes made it a huge point to mention several times that he dislikes civilians but that he sure enjoyed our money and if we didn't like it we could leave. Not very professional but hey I received my certificate at least.
It was about 30% getting told how dumb we are and why we shouldn't be allowed to carry, 30% getting told about the other classes they offer, 20% way too personal stories about his shady past and why it wasn't his fault, 10% what we actually paid him to get to know and 10% him on his cell phone. The only saving grace about it was at the range, the other guys were very nice and very professional and all but apologized to our class for how Wes acts sometimes after some of the people in my class started to speak up about the experience.
I'm glad your experience was a lot better but I can't reccomend them at all. It may have just been an off day for him but wow.

Gebrown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did think story time was excessive but the civs drove a lot of that so I thought that must be what they like. The class could have been shorter if we would have stayed on topic.
He also insulted the two Air Force members. I'm no Marine or anything but I have been in a Combat Comm unit so I've handled weapons and been put in scenarios with Psy Ops, GBS, taking fire from multiple directions, etc.

He talked a lot! But the civs in there did too, some I would think, this is a weapons class not a social hour. To be honest I was a nervous at first, some of those civs were very old and some looked like they've never seen a weapon before.

Maybe my first post was just happy to be home. I'd still recommend PS, but I would like to see the instructor:
1) don't insult people
2) keep the class on track
3) don't take all day, we wasted a lot of time
4) if someone asks about your other class offerings or tasers have them stay after the class, don't hold everyone up

I was interested in another class and mentioned it to my wife to which she replied "but then you'll be gone all day again". Shorten these classes up man, it's a weekend but I don't want to be there all day!

swat-t

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
4000 (students) for Concealed Carry, 3 neg postings = .0007% and I'm not happy with the .0007% With your input it will help me lower that figure.

Thanks Men.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
4000 students yes, but all positive? Idk about that. It may be worth your while to have them fill a survey out after class or something unless you still have the "if you don't like it leave" attitude. That's the Mcdonald's attitude of billions served, why do you matter. Like you told us, you have 1000 people ready to fill our seat if we get mad and leave. And while it may be true, it isn't good business. I'm not picking a fight, it's just my rebuttal to what you told us and how that was brought across to us. I see 2/2 here who didn't have their expectations met by far. If you're still concerned with quantity over quality, I say keep on keeping on. Otherwise it may be time to rework things. I understand it's not easy to fill a huge time gap like that but hey, I'm not getting paid to figure that part out.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did think story time was excessive but the civs drove a lot of that so I thought that must be what they like. The class could have been shorter if we would have stayed on topic.
He also insulted the two Air Force members. I'm no Marine or anything but I have been in a Combat Comm unit so I've handled weapons and been put in scenarios with Psy Ops, GBS, taking fire from multiple directions, etc.

He talked a lot! But the civs in there did too, some I would think, this is a weapons class not a social hour. To be honest I was a nervous at first, some of those civs were very old and some looked like they've never seen a weapon before.

Maybe my first post was just happy to be home. I'd still recommend PS, but I would like to see the instructor:
1) don't insult people
2) keep the class on track
3) don't take all day, we wasted a lot of time
4) if someone asks about your other class offerings or tasers have them stay after the class, don't hold everyone up

I was interested in another class and mentioned it to my wife to which she replied "but then you'll be gone all day again". Shorten these classes up man, it's a weekend but I don't want to be there all day!

Agreed.
And yes, some of the people in my class DID NOT need to be around guns, that's for sure too.

LWysocki

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have attended a few classes at PS and was kind of put off so I would like to offer additional suggestions for a kinder, gentler experience the next time;

1) 15 minutes of singing "kumbaya" out of every three hours of instruction, and
2) a group hug no later than ten minutes before the hour, and
3) the instructor should tell the student that he looks fabulous holding his or her gun "that way" at least once during the class, and
4) free marsmallows and a weinie roast mandatory!
5) a really great added extra would be a hand holding session as we walk down to the range to alleviate any nervousness on the part of the students!

My learning experience will most definitely be enhanced if I feel better about myself regardless of the quality of shooting instruction-perhaps I can go shopping for a new pair of shoes to wear the day before the class.......thanks!

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wes did an awesome job. I was with 2 other friends and we all enjoyed the class

the guys whining about it, I don't recall him "pushing" other classes but recommending further training that he provides.

there was one guy that admitted to never have fired a gun before, that's not PS fault

there also was one guy that knew it all, I'm sure there is one in every bunch though, again, not PS fault..

It's supposed to be an 8 hour class with an hour break for lunch, so with the class of 39, we got out about 5:30.

I would easily recommend Practical Shooting as a school for SDA and will!!!

Thanks again Wes for your time and would love to see that pic of the red head today!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom