Preferred elk platform

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gents, going on my first elk hunt next year. Trying to decide my rifle setup. I currently have a browning A bolt 7 mag with 175 Bergers loaded up. I debated selling it and going with the 300 win or wsm. The outfitter I’m going with in New Mexico said to practice and prepare for a 500 yard shot worst case scenario. For those of you who have hit the elk woods, do you think I’m just fine with the 7 mag? Or sell?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
7mm Mag was once thought of as the perfect elk round. I can’t think of a reason it would be inadequate now.

However if I knew I would be shooting an elk at 500 I’d want a .300 Weatherby but that’s just me.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've killed 10 elk in 12 years of hunting them. The 30-06 with 165 grain Barnes TTSX bullets in my reloads did the job every time with zero second shots required at ranges over 500 yards.
The bullet design is the most important part of any hunt. Your 7 mag is more than adequate.
Choose your bullet wisely.

Reaction score
I do like the idea of a new rifle but this 7 mag has been so good to me. Plus I’m already all setup to reload for it. I may sell my 6.5 CM and get a 300 lol
7mm Mag was once thought of as the perfect elk round. I can’t think of a reason it would be inadequate now.

However if I knew I would be shooting an elk at 500 I’d want a .300 Weatherby but that’s just me.

Reaction score
I've killed 10 elk in 12 years of hunting them. The 30-06 with 165 grain Barnes TTSX bullets in my reloads did the job every time with zero second shots required at ranges over 500 yards.
The bullet design is the most important part of any hunt. Your 7 mag is more than adequate.
Choose your bullet wisely.
Very good to hear thanks sir. This leads me to another question… on my 7 mag I have a Leupold VXII 4-12 with the simple duplex reticle. To shoot accurately out to 500 I first figured I would need to get a scope with turrets like I have on my 6.5 so I could dial in distance. But then considered having a 250 or so yard zero and just practicing hold over out to 500. Thoughts ?

Reaction score
9C26B5B6-FDF9-41C2-9FB9-2C2ECC20C38A.jpeg

Here’s the old girl. She’s 20 years old now

Latest posts

Top Bottom