Preppers and fitness

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The heart is a muscle. Heavy resistance training, ie strength training is known to increase muscle mass even in the heart.

Lungs can't be buff. They aren't muscle. While resistance training uses ATP for energy it also can create oxygen deficits during high reps which helps the body adapt to low oxygen levels. Long slow distance exercise like jogging uses oxidation for energy and helps the body adapt to more efficient use of oxygen.

The best training for cardio-respiratory fitness is strength training. Just because the fitness industry tied the word cardio to bikes and treadmills doesn't make it true. It's like all the bs about "core" training. Sheeple like buzz words.

One needs a mix of both. Lifting trains the body to use calories effeciently, more so than running or cycling. It does not make a well-trained weightlifter capable of running a fair distance. Just as most body builders suggest little "cardio", in order to use calories to build muscle, guys that run long distance avoid putting on pounds (even muscle), because it interferes with their goal. (running insane distances)

I like a mix of both. If I can't run a fair distance, how effective can I be as a rifleman? If I'm too weak to haul my gear, ammo, etc..a fair distance, how effective can I be?

Try controlling your breath and sight picture on a 20" wide target 400 yards away after running 3 or 4 miles. Carlos Hathcock employed running with gear, then dropping trainees on the line to get their hearts pumping and lungs wheezing before they tried to get focused and shoot. Lifting weights alone won't make you able to overcome that type of situation.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try controlling your breath and sight picture on a 20" wide target 400 yards away after running 3 or 4 miles.

A friend who owns a small grocery store; punk robbed register, owner was in office. He gets his 9mm and gives chase. After approx. 80 yrd chase, punk turns and points gun at owner. Punk is on empty street with brick machine shop behind him. Owner fires 6 rounds, all missing punk, BUT punk dropped to ground and surrendered. Inspecting scene afterwards; 6 rapid shots at approx. 6' tall x 2' wide target from a distance of 40' yielded no hits on target and a group of aprox 9'.

Lesson learned = Owner in good shape for a 40yo, not a biathlon athlete, but fit and active shooter. He now has a shotgun in the office.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
^^^my point exactly. If you haven't trained, practiced and prepared, you're gonna get a nasty surprise when you have to push your body and mind under stress. (heat, cold, exhaustion, pain, etc..)

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hit the bowflex I haven't used in over a year several days in a row now and I've had no pop or sugar in my coffee for the same. It's a start

CASTRATE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I run long distance, but I've been lazy lately. Between a new baby and beginnig to build armor for my truck, I haven't had much time to run. I'm a welder though, and my job doesn't allow me to get TOO out of shape. I've packed on about 20 lbs in the last four months, but I'm about ti start running like crazy again

CASTRATE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did p90x a few years ago. The plyo was pretty intense. I'm gonna start back up on the p90x soon, but instead of doing plyo, cardio, legs, kenpo, and yoga, I'm just gonna run for a couple of hours

OKMinuteman

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
HELLO - did I hear someone say BICYCLE. Exactly, over look it, bypass it, not even a consideration! Got news for you potential troops and troopettes, it ain't rocket science. I'm 63, in fair shape and have no difficulty doing quick little 20 milers before breakfast followed up by a nother 20 afterwards at least 4 days each week. A good start would be "The Donut Ride" every Saturday leaving from Will Roger's Park on Portland and 36th. Ride 6 easy miles, stop for a cup of coffee and do 6 on back or more as you choose. It's a START to your road to recovery and you get to meet some nice folks to boot. All it takes isany old bike cause it ain 't a race. But more importantly it will demand a little bit of your time and it pays dividends because you will probably get more personal time in return in the form of longevity. Or you can just pull back on that lever on the side of the Lazy Boy and dream about being some rock hard thriller killer scurring about the hinterlands doing good or evil but you'll only be fooling yourself.

JamesP82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lifting is an anaerobic excercise. Running is an aerobic excercise. You can get both types on a bike.

Running (sprinting) is an anaerobic excercise. Jogging and walking is aerobic unless you have a very low metabolic threashold.

Any anaerobic program utilizing phosphagen (ATP/PC) energy will provide carryovers to aerobic programs utilizing oxidative energy.

If a distance runner is able to increase his strength in the squat through strength training while remaining equally proficient in his body's ability to use oxidative energy he will either be able to go farther or faster for the same distance. The reason for this would be that his body is now able to produce force more efficiently. Anytime you adapt to increase force production (become stronger) you become capable of going farther or faster for the same distance due to the decrease in the percentage of force needed to accomplish the task.

Anytime you become stronger you increase your total work capacity. Each stride takes less effort and you can take more strides.

Besides, Ive never seen someone jog to cover when under fire.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I'm gonna put on my fitness advocate hat and say..FWIW, if you decide to make the investment in fitness, even if the S never does HTF, it will improve your quality of life and its a prep that will truly never go to waste.
:)

I agree. I seem to go in spurts. I'll go all out and clean up my diet and exercise 6 times a week and then get burnt out. This time around (started a month ago) I'm only exercising 3 times a week and watching my diet while splurging some on the weekends. This is a lot easier to do and it keeps me on track so I don't get burnt out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom