1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Pretty good reason to use serious safety chains when towing.

Discussion in 'Gearheads' started by HoLeChit, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Okie4570

Okie4570 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    There could be 100 reasons for that to happen. Driver inattentiveness is the most common with any accident though. Pretty awesome high angle rescue crew.

BobbyV and dennishoddy like this.
  2. clintbailey

clintbailey Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Those canyon crossings get some crazy crosswinds out west, used to hate them when I drove x-country

BobbyV, dennishoddy and Cowbaby like this.
  3. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    As an RV owner, it would be tough to say what caused the driver to lose control.
    High winds, improper loading resulting in low tongue weight that can cause sway, road conditions resulting in porpoising between the trailer and tow vehicle, a broken weight distribution hitch component (happened to me) or any number of things like going to sleep at the wheel.

4. TerryMiller

TerryMiller Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    True story about safety chains. My dad was a professional truck driver, and we also liked camping. However, he had the philosophy that if the camper broke loose from the tow vehicle, he wanted it going off on its own and destroying itself and not do any damage to the tow vehicle. So, he would attach the safety chain to the vehicle with two or three wraps of baling wire. Trailer broke loose one time and stayed rock steady behind the tow vehicle with nary a bobble of the ride.

After that, he always attached the chains properly.

That baling wire can be really tough stuff.

BobbyV and HoLeChit like this.
  5. TerryMiller

TerryMiller Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    The OP asked if this photo could be shared over here. It will give something of a perspective of the gorge and its depth. At this point, I-84 crosses Malad Gorge on two different bridges, which are visible because of the grey colored concrete guardrails. Lower down and all in red is a third bridge that is a pedestrian bridge for crossing the gorge in Malad Gorge State Park.

I imagine that most people have no clue that there is a waterfall directly below those interstate bridges.

[​IMG]

HoLeChit likes this.
  6. Catt57

Catt57 Gill-Gun Guru

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I've been there once. Many, many years ago. I remember us stopping to look. The wind through those things is no joke either.

7. TerryMiller

TerryMiller Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    For those that might be interested in Malad Gorge, below is a link to my Smugmug site where I posted pictures from two different visits to the state park.

Malad Gorge State Park Photos

As an added bonus, here is a picture of a juvenile eagle we saw on that first trip to the Gorge. We were in an area of the park that created a kind of "cove" towards the south end of the park and heard the eagle "crying out." Wife's cousin and I both scanned the cliffs, trying to find him. I finally got out my 70-200mm lens and zoomed in and searched along the face of the cliff. I'd have never seen him if I hadn't used that lens to get close up.

[​IMG]

HoLeChit likes this.
  8. murphranch

murphranch Sharpshooter

I bet those 2 in that truck immediately evacuated their bowels upon going over the edge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. TerryMiller

TerryMiller Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Just as an interesting side note, here is a story going back to 2007 about a "near fatality accident" in Hurricane, UT. And, I've driven by that site a number of times. I might even have pictures somewhere of the cliff.

Snopes Fact-Check of Livin' On The Edge

10. SPDguns

SPDguns Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Not required but still a good idea...

MacFromOK likes this.