Principle Three: Aggressiveness

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i've never had " hand to hand traing" and have responded to being attacked aggressively and decisively on many occasions in my life,so i don't buy the "you wont be able to respond unless you've had training" theory

I don't think anyone believes that you "won't" be able to respond.

However fights of any sort have a large element of chance and chance always favors the prepared.

If this were not so, no one would practice football, tennis, baseball or any other activity. We'd be so good we wouldn't need coaching or practice.

You get better at what you practice and if you want to get better at fighting, you have to fight.

Anything else is self-delusion.

Michael Brown

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think anyone believes that you "won't" be able to respond.

However fights of any sort have a large element of chance and chance always favors the prepared.

If this were not so, no one would practice football, tennis, baseball or any other activity. We'd be so good we wouldn't need coaching or practice.

You get better at what you practice and if you want to get better at fighting, you have to fight.

Anything else is self-delusion.

Michael Brown
i learned to fight by fighting , i went to school during the time when forced busing was introduced and i learned by being forced to defend myself.i just take excepting to the notion you have to pay a trainer to teach you or you wont be able to respond.

the same as the notion you can't defend your self with a gun unless you've been trained by a professional instructor many of whom have never been in a gun fight or used a gun to defend themselves.

people use firearms to defend themselves everyday with out having ever attended thundergunsitesigacademy

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i learned to fight by fighting , i went to school during the time when forced busing was introduced and i learned by being forced to defend myself.i just take excepting to the notion you have to pay a trainer to teach you or you wont be able to respond.

the same as the notion you can't defend your self with a gun unless you've been trained by a professional instructor many of whom have never been in a gun fight or used a gun to defend themselves.

people use firearms to defend themselves everyday with out having ever attended thundergunsitesigacademy

It's good that you have something that works for you.

If you prefer to learn on your own, that's cool.

However most people in most professions have more success by finding someone better or with more experience than them to show them how to do something well.

If you don't want to, don't worry about it.

Michael Brown

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i've never had " hand to hand traing" and have responded to being attacked aggressively and decisively on many occasions in my life,so i don't buy the "you wont be able to respond unless you've had training" theory

Sure you have, how many scraps have you been in?? All those are proly the best H2H training you could ever get!! Since high school I've not been in one but have came very close to it and much worse, ( hanging around you) :ooh2:

And my Hand to Hand training was 20 years ago!! so I went to training that I thought would help me... and it did.

Im not in any way saying that someone that has not done that cant or wont respond as very many have!!!!!!!

And as far as the Firearm training I have been doing that is something I have ALWAYS wanted to do!! but many years ago A guy that we both know told me I could NEVER be "one of those guys" I may not be one now but I can out shoot or shoot with most any of them:wink2:

Besides, some of it is just a hoot and learning something wile having fun is just as good as it gets..

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sure you have, how many scraps have you been in?? All those are proly the best H2H training you could ever get!! Since high school I've not been in one but have came very close to it and much worse, ( hanging around you) :ooh2:

And my Hand to Hand training was 20 years ago!! so I went to training that I thought would help me... and it did.

Im not in any way saying that someone that has not done that cant or wont respond as very many have!!!!!!!

And as far as the Firearm training I have been doing that is something I have ALWAYS wanted to do!! but many years ago A guy that we both know told me I could NEVER be "one of those guys" I may not be one now but I can out shoot or shoot with most any of them:wink2:

Besides, some of it is just a hoot and learning something wile having fun is just as good as it gets..
i understand, i'm not saying training isn't useful and i would probably even enjoy it.but i've seen too many "trainers" tell people having a gun won't do you any good unless you go to xyz school and learn tacticool technics.or they take a few classes and now everyone that hasn't been to thier school of choice is doom to be a victim.

i like you and respect you but, just the other day you criticized my brother( whom i am no fan of) as not knowing what he's talking about, when the guy is a 33 year leo with 11 years on the tac team who survived or i should say won 3 actual gunfights in his career. i find that ludicrous
i'm not picking on you ,but thats the kinda thing i'm talking about

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some people are good at managing stress and some aren't. Training is a positive thing for anyone, but it's particularly useful for those that don't handle emergency situations well. It gives them something to fall back on. Training is just another tool in the tool bag. It would suck to only have a screwdriver when you need a wrench, right?

As for those that question the benefits of anger, it depends on whether you control the anger or it controls you. If you manage it correctly, it's another tool in the bag. If not, then you've lost control of yourself. If you can't control yourself, how can you expect to manage a dangerous situation?

Emotions such as fear and anger are nature's way of boosting your abilities. It's like a 150 shot of nitrous or a turbo on your car. Under normal circumstances they're not needed, but under heavy demand they add enough capability to get the job done for brief time. The trick is to not loose control when the boost is on. :)

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i like you and respect you but, just the other day you criticized my brother( whom i am no fan of) as not knowing what he's talking about, when the guy is a 33 year leo with 11 years on the tac team who survived or i should say won 3 actual gunfights in his career. i find that ludicrous
i'm not picking on you ,but thats the kinda thing i'm talking about

I'm going to guess that if your brother has been on a major P.D.'s tac team for 11 years and been an LEO for longer than that, he probably has a great deal of training and experience.

That is what I'm talking about. One cannot undervalue either of those.

Going to any single school is a silly concept UNLESS that school provides something that others may not. If what we're talking about is simple gunhandling and marksmanship then a great many locations will do.

If you're talking about other aspects of personal protection training, then I'm personally a lot more selective about whom I train with.

Michael Brown

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to throw in my 2 cents
I don't favor fighting on adrenaline/rage because if you don't stop your opponent in about 20-40 seconds you will be screwed. When you are going all out one of the easiest things to forget is breathing.
I have fought when I was a kid and I could barely remember what happened. Good thing there weren't multiple attackers.
Regarding schooling, I've been to several. I've have trained with MB too and I only see it as a plus. It's another tool.

Latest posts

Top Bottom