Pro Am questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never been to any type of competition shoot before.

I've got a few green horn questions if you guys don't mind answering them. Can anyone shoot, what do you need to bring, do you have to be a member, where is it at, and all of the other good stuff.

I sure do appreciate the information. It sounds like you guys have a heck of a good time at these from what I have read.

Thanks
hunter966

ManDown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never been to any type of competition shoot before.

I've got a few green horn questions if you guys don't mind answering them. Can anyone shoot, what do you need to bring, do you have to be a member, where is it at, and all of the other good stuff.

I sure do appreciate the information. It sounds like you guys have a heck of a good time at these from what I have read.

Thanks
hunter966

Yes anyone can shoot at these events. It cost a little more if you're not a member but you can still shoot. $15 for non-members $10 for members.

Bring at least 150 rounds of ammo, a holster, and at least 3-4 mags and holders.

It is at the United States Shooting Academy off of 66th St. N. in Owasso, right behind the Tulsa Police Department Training Center.http://www.usshootingacademy.com

The competition basically is that you are shooting against a "par time" and you are trying to knock down as many steel plates as possible in the given amount of time. Any shots over the "par time" is a one plate penalty, if you miss.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I hope I got it all right then.:thumbup3:

You got it right. I'd add that for the new shooter, it's very important to get your hits. There isn't enough time to leave steel standing while moving and making mag changes. Focus on knocking over 1 steel for each shot (you're allowed to start with a maximum of 11 rounds in the gun). Reload during movement if possible, but if you're empty and only have a few seconds and there's still steel to shoot from that position, stay and finish them off.

You'd be surprised where a newer shooter will finish if they'll just focus on knocking over 11 pieces of steel with the first mag, rather than going for all out speed, using more ammo and changing positions but missing a lot.

Hint: when the time is running out, resisting the temptation to blaze away is pretty tough. :)

ERIC FUSON

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You got it right. I'd add that for the new shooter, it's very important to get your hits. There isn't enough time to leave steel standing while moving and making mag changes. Focus on knocking over 1 steel for each shot (you're allowed to start with a maximum of 11 rounds in the gun). Reload during movement if possible, but if you're empty and only have a few seconds and there's still steel to shoot from that position, stay and finish them off.

You'd be surprised where a newer shooter will finish if they'll just focus on knocking over 11 pieces of steel with the first mag, rather than going for all out speed, using more ammo and changing positions but missing a lot.

Hint: when the time is running out, resisting the temptation to blaze away is pretty tough. :)

Or do what i do, ignore the bumpy things on the top of your gun and blaze away... remember if lead is in the air you have a prayer!!!!!!!

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It sounds like you guys have a lot of fun at these shoots. I need to get me a couple of extra magazines, and I'll be set.

But don't the old pros buy the first round of drinks?

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This ProAm and all of the other competitions are soooooo much fun. I had just about given up hunting and shooting over the last 10 years with the exception of a round of sporting clays every now and then. Then I found action shooting! Now I shoot 2-4 matches a month and burn up thousands of rounds every month. If you enjoy shooting you will love the ProAm, Steel Challenge, USPSA, IPSC, 3 gun, Practical rifle, etc. matches for sure.

Latest posts

Top Bottom