Probably the best evening in the stand......ever.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Got to enjoy a cool, windy evening in the stand with my daughter. Bumped a couple of deer that were bedded under the stand on the way in. Just a few minutes later I catch something fluttering between two trees about 40y out.......yep, only one thing moves like that in the woods, bobcat tail. The cat proceeds North, I gave a couple of lip squeaks and here she comes, running down a log and then appearing from under the foliage the three of us make eye contact. About that time a doe comes up from behind the cat and starts blowing. Snapped a couple of pics and video, and the cat made her way down the trail.
i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_20141002_171822_zpsmefkhnqj.jpg

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_20141002_171833_zpsmi58wtfr.jpg

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_20141002_171936_zpstbzumpon.jpg

Doe wanders off as well, my daughter wasn't interested in doe this evening, we've got 3 1/2 months left to shoot does. Short while later this button buck and knot head wander in.
i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_20141002_173854_zpsxhhyc6a0.jpg

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_20141002_174103_zpsw0rcw2pv.jpg

About 7:15 we catch two dark bodies skirting around to the South, they both stop, and then head straight where the wheat cleanings have been, but both are now hidden behind trees. We still haven't seen their antlers, one body was bigger than the other.........couple minutes go by and I can now see both of their racks, one tall and narrow, the other a wide 8pt................the tall narrow one got a free pass, the wide 8pt didn't.

I can't see the bolt from her crossbow hit the buck, but from the stand she spotted her bolt laying on the ground......good sign. We watched video a few more times, and in slow motion I could finally see a dark spot on his side when he jumped. We waited about 15 minutes, checked the arrow, good blood but had gut smear from the angle of the exit. We backed out, went to the truck and took about 45 minutes to go check game cams. Returned about an hour after the shot, found little blood, high entry, low exit plugged by gut. Went to the last place I saw him go into the timber and he was laying right there, only about 40-50 yards from the shot. Now if I can just figure out some way to keep her 11 years old forever :)

Shouldn't have zoomed in, it's a little dark.

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_20141002_202614_zpspbklnuvq.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is awesome!! That buck is huge! She rocks! Way to go dad...you raised her well. I hope she stays with it. Wow, what a buck...

I've never even got a buck. The biggest buck I ever drew a string on was walking right into the perfect shot when it intercepted a bobcat at the same time and I watched both take off at mach speed....I love wild cats of all kinds but admittedly I harbored much ill will towards that cat for years. Also, sadly, was the last time I ever hunted.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
heck ha tell her congrtas on a great buck.okie thanks for sharing the hunt with us.I would been so stoked that i might of would had a heart attack if i would been in your shoes and bet in your heart she will always be 11 years old.again congrats to both you thats a great buck

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Wow! How great for you and her both!

I got chills when I saw the pic of her and that big ol' buck.

Congrats!

BTW, I have five daughters. I know what you mean by trying to figure out how to keep them young. If there only was a way.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OH MAN! That is Awesome..
Congrats to both of you for a great story and great hunting experience that you shared with us.
That looks like a superb deer.
I bet she is stoked and ready for more hunting action.
I know some people that have hunted for 30 years and never got a deer that nice.

Latest posts

Top Bottom