problem with pocket holster

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm using an uncle Mike's pocket holster for my little Taurus TCP 380. It is basically a copy of the Desantis holster. The problem is, the guy prints big time when I sit down or even when standing a bit.

The holster does not mask the basic "L" shape of the gun and you can clearly see the grip outlined on the jeans. The holster should make it look like there is just something square in your pocket, but because there isn't much bulk under where the grip is, the grip sticks out. That combined with the shape of the slide makes it look very gun-like.

The Desantis looks just the same in that there is nothing to mask the shape of the grip.

Any ideas on this one? Either a way to modify the holster or to get one that is designed to mask the shape of the gun in your pocket?
Thanks

B

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
awww.lesjones.com_www_images_posts_POCKETGUN.jpg

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought some leather at a gunshow and cut it slightly smaller than my back pocket to help hide printing. I don't know if that would work in a front pocket. You might need some looser fitting pants. Dress around your gun. If that means buying something different to wear, so be it. Thats what I did.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

Well, IMHO the problem is that you have a gun in your pocket! :) It is going to have some weight, some bulge, no way of getting around it. Looser pockets will not cling to it as much, but everyone is still going to know *something* is there.

The grip is an issue because if you had somethiing that hides the grip, you wouldn't be able to grip it quickly when needed.

These are reasons why I prefer snub revolvers for the pocket carry. They have an irregular shape that just makes it look like you have a bunch of junk in your pocket such as keys, cellphone, etc.

Good luck,

Alan

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use the desantis cargo shorts holster for my P3AT. Spare mag and no printing in my regular jeans. I got it for christmas, so don't know how it will look in my cargo shorts. Very comfortable too.

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The holster does not mask the basic "L" shape of the gun and you can clearly see the grip outlined on the jeans. The holster should make it look like there is just something square in your pocket, but because there isn't much bulk under where the grip is, the grip sticks out. That combined with the shape of the slide makes it look very gun-like.

The Desantis looks just the same in that there is nothing to mask the shape of the grip.

Any ideas on this one? Either a way to modify the holster or to get one that is designed to mask the shape of the gun in your pocket?
Thanks

B

That is one reason I didn't like the Uncle Mikes. The grip sticks out past the holster. Thus the "L" shape your talking about. The Desantis for the LCP (Kel-Tec) has a little "wing" sticking out that makes the outline look like a wallet or something square.

ai373.photobucket.com_albums_oo177_BurkC_P5250011.jpg

I tried to carry my J-Frame in a pocket but could never get it to work for me for that same reason.

BC

StammesOpfer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe someone will come up with a good leather one you can put in your back pocket, that the LCP can shoot out of. That sells for $49.95

I thought if it could be shot without being removed from the holster then it was considered a AOW also does it fit the TCP (OP) I saw it in your booth at the metcalf show but you were busy with someone else so I didn't ask then.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought if it could be shot without being removed from the holster then it was considered a AOW also does it fit the TCP (OP) I saw it in your booth at the metcalf show but you were busy with someone else so I didn't ask then.

If the backstrap and slide are exposed, it's ok according to the ATF.

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LC is correct, The ATF letter is very clear about this. There is a holster that many get confused that was made for the High Standard which is a AOW. The only two pistols the one I sell will fit are the LCP and the kel tec 380, and it comes in Brown and Black.

Latest posts

Top Bottom