Proposed Baiting Regulation Changes for ODWC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ko4nrbs

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I put my two cents in under Public Feedback. I'd like to continue it myself. I don't hunt over bait but I do use it during the winter so I can use my Game Cameras. Much easier to get them in for a picture that way. I also cover trails and do get some pics there but not as many as over the bait.

What ever you like to do (bait or no bait) you should provide your feedback so you can be heard.

Just my opinion and nothing else.
Bill

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't hunt public land either, but I think its BS they are proposing this.
Upper Kaw has been planted in corn/milo/beans for many years. If its illegal to hunt over a food source, then all oak trees, wheat fields etc on public ground should be off limits for hunting.
Just because one does not hunt public ground, we need to keep those that do, in our thoughts.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't hunt public land either, but I think its BS they are proposing this.
Upper Kaw has been planted in corn/milo/beans for many years. If its illegal to hunt over a food source, then all oak trees, wheat fields etc on public ground should be off limits for hunting.
Just because one does not hunt public ground, we need to keep those that do, in our thoughts.
Exactly this. Just like the uppity gun club fudds not caring if they banned semi-auto rifles. "I don't own no AR, just these here over/under Berettas, so I don't care."

I don't see the point in banning feeders. It's not like they are taking too many deer over them is it? I can remember the day you couldn't hunt deer at all on WMAs unless you were drawn. They were all closed hunts and now there are several that are open. Seems like an attempt to satiate some pansy anti-hunting groups or something.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
If people were taking B&C's everytime they sat over a corn pile I could see where this might be a questioned practice, or maybe if we had a minimal deer population headed in the wrong direction. If the goal of ODW is to take more does, and to get more hunters and younger hunters in the woods, (which I believe is true), I think that this proposal would be a step backwards.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't hunt much public either any more, nor did I bait it when I did. BUT I don't like seeing any hunting rights being taken away. I do however like keeping feeders going with cams to keep an eye on what deer are in my area. Hunting over them or not makes no difference to me.
Look at it this way guys, this year they take away baiting on public. Next time it may be private...

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't hunt much public either any more, nor did I bait it when I did. BUT I don't like seeing any hunting rights being taken away. I do however like keeping feeders going with cams to keep an eye on what deer are in my area. Hunting over them or not makes no difference to me.
Look at it this way guys, this year they take away baiting on public. Next time it may be private...

This..........I have to be honest I did not realize you could bait on public land and I have hunted several of the WMA's out west over the years. It just concerns me that like AllOut said, first it's public, then next time it may be private.
Here is what the ODWC had to say about the issue in last Sunday's Daily Oklahoman. I don't know if I buy this rationale, I will post my comments today. Deadline to do so is January 13.

No more baiting on WMAs?

State wildlife officials also want to eliminate baiting of all wildlife on the state-owned public hunting areas.

Alan Peoples, head of the wildlife division for the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation, cites several examples as reasons for the proposal.

It's illegal to hunt turkeys over bait but on wildlife management areas in western Oklahoma - where calling the birds can get difficult - some hunters are baiting areas to lure turkeys and then ambushing the gobblers between their roosts and the baited areas, Peoples said. Technically, those hunters are not violating the law but are circumventing it, he said.

Also, hunters who bait deer on wildlife management areas have complained of other hunters setting up deer stands over or near their baited areas, Peoples said.

Eliminating baiting entirely on the state's wildlife management areas would prevent that kind of hunter conflict, he said.

Other situations occur where a hunter lawfully baits a public area for wildlife but then another hunter could come along and unknowingly and illegally shoots dove or waterfowl over the baited area, which is illegal.

“It (baiting) just creates all kind of issues,” Peoples said.

Read more: http://newsok.com/oklahoma-departme...ations-for-2012/article/3638508#ixzz1jALPkPEj

Latest posts

Top Bottom