Anybody here catch carp?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen a few videos of people catching the big carp and cooking the ribs on the grill like pork ribs. I'm not a big fish eater cause I don't like a strong fish taste. At the same time I don't like 90% of the stuff cooking channels claim is the best of whatever they are ruining.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They really are underutilized around here. There are tons of them everywhere! Too many Y bones for me to mess with eating any method other than pressure canned. The pressure canning dissolves the bones and I’m telling you it tastes exactly like canned tuna or canned salmon. You can use it to make fried salmon patty style sandwiches, or tuna salad style sandwiches, etc… it’s really not bad.

I will occasionally keep small-ish carp caught out of clean water. They really are good eating.

For the most part though I think they make better fertilizer for tomatoes lol

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But catching them really is fun! It’s a sit and wait for the bite style fishing with rod holders. Chill… I like to tent camp on waters edge campsites and fish for them while hanging out around the fire and what not.

I like to bring along kids. Kids that have only ever caught little bluegills and stuff usually get a kick out of reeling in big ole carp

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve caught many carp but never intentionally. They usually get tossed on the bank for the critters to enjoy. I have eaten some that have been pressure cooked, and if times were hard, I could definitely eat it on a regular basis. I’ve been wanting to try bow fishing so I might be actually targeting some carp here in the near future.

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On light tackle, carp and buffalo are, in my opinion, the hardest fighting fish around. I don’t to eat them, but I can spend hours catching them. They will bite pretty much any bait, canned corn is easy and cheap. Dough bait made of wheat irs cereal and vanilla flavor is another good one. On 10 pound line, a five pound carp will make you think you hooked leviathan.

superslomo

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You guys need to learn HOW to cook and eat them. On a direct fire once cooked, the meat falls right off the bones. Take a fork and peel the meat off. Really easy guys. Carp is the best tasting fish that swims. When I see them tossed on the bank left for dead, such a tragedy. Just put it back in the water. Let someone else catch it or eat it. Just because you don't like them, have respect for others.

Far as carp being trash fish, couldn't be more wrong. They fight way harder than bass. Taste way better when cooked proper. They populate faster than bass. More of a chance to catch something. They clean the bottom of the lakes. Bass don't clean anything. No comparison at all.

I had a heavy action bass rod in a vertical rod holder on the bank. A carp hooked on, drove the small end eye on the rod to the GROUND LOL. Sucker broke 40lb line like nothing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom