Protecting Others With CCW License

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveo-85

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With all due respect to the law and law enforcement on this forum. I really don't care what the statutes or specific wording is.

If I see the whole situation, and I know what's going on, and I fail to defend someone in a time of need because I'm worried about a sentence in a book 200 miles away...I'd rather just kill myself.

With human life in question, I'm willing to risk breaking the law, and I would hope you would too.

You took the words out of my mouth.. I agree 100%

dbarbee

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
With all due respect to the law and law enforcement on this forum. I really don't care what the statutes or specific wording is.

If I see the whole situation, and I know what's going on, and I fail to defend someone in a time of need because I'm worried about a sentence in a book 200 miles away...I'd rather just kill myself.

With human life in question, I'm willing to risk breaking the law, and I would hope you would too.

I agree with this statement (except the killing mysefl part :)) and didn't intend my questions to indicate otherwise. I could not see myself standing by while innocent people are hurt or killed when I had the ability to stop it. I'd rather live out the rest of my life in jail knowing I did the right thing than live out the rest of my life knowing I did nothing.

Nevertheless, I'd still like to hear a good explanation on why these two statutes seem to contradict each other. I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm honestly just trying to learn and understand the law so I know my rights and responsibilities.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oklahoma Uniform Jury Instructions from the Court of Appeals....seems to address the difference between 733's specific reference to family and employees/employers and the Stand your Ground reference to simply "Another".

Seems you would fall under Justifiable use of force to prevent offense rather than justifiable homicide...of course your use of force must meet the "reasonable" test.

OUJI-CR 8-3

DEFENSE OF PERSON -

JUSTIFIABLE USE OF FORCE TO PREVENT OFFENSE

A person is justified in using reasonable force in aid or defense of another person who is about to be injured during the commission of a crime.

Statutory Authority: 22 O.S. 1991, § 33.

Notes on Use

This instruction is appropriate where the defendant used reasonable force to prevent a crime in which personal injury was imminent. In contrast to OUJI-CR 8-2, supra, the use of force is not restricted to the protection of specific persons from death or great bodily harm. OUJI-CR 8-14, infra, should be used instead of this instruction if the defendant reasonably believed that the victim was attempting to commit a felony in a dwelling where the defendant was lawfully present. OUJI-CR 8-15, infra, should be used if the defendant reasonably believed that the victim might use physical force against an occupant of a dwelling.

Committee Comments

In Whitechurch v. State, 657 P.2d 654, 657 (Okl. Cr. 1983), the Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals required a jury instruction to be given that covered the defense in 22 O.S. 1991, § 33. The Court noted that this defense complemented and to a certain extent overlapped the principles of self-defense and the defense of others.

Latest posts

Top Bottom