Protecting Others With CCW License

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd be very circumspect about intervening in an unknown situation. I'm not saying I wouldn't, but you assume all risk and have much less legal protection under those circumstances. Is that a thug assaulting a woman in the parking lot? Or an undercover officer effecting an arrest on a wanted felon? What if you intervene and wind up injuring an innocent party or bystander?

These are all things to consider before jumping into the fray.

mmcbeat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just my take, the Oklahoma CCW is not a license to be an armature LEO. To me it's kind of like an insurance policy, I have it and hope I never have to use it. If you ever use your gun in self defense, chances are you will need a good lawyer.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the newest language in the law also includes employees in addition to yourself and your family. Curiously, it doesn't say anything about your employer??? LOL!

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
According to the wording in the law, you have the right to protect yourself, your wife, children, mother and father.

Unfortunately this is a common misconception. The SDA does not contain the words "wife, children, mother, father, employer or employee"

As SMS stated the SDA says the following:

"A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force, if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony."

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
your best answer is going to be one that you get from the book available on the osbi website, or from the osbi themselves...book is best. None of the advice on here while probably accurate will keep you from trouble if wrong. No offense guys, but I wouldn't risk it.

skyydiver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unfortunately this is a common misconception. The SDA does not contain the words "wife, children, mother, father, employer or employee"

As SMS stated the SDA says the following:

"A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force, if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony."

I have not looked lately, but is that in the SDA? It reads alot like the later-passed "Stand your ground" law. Is all that rolled into the SDA now? Not that it matters, I just know all the "duty to retreat" language wasn't in the original SDA, but was in stand your ground.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have not looked lately, but is that in the SDA? It reads alot like the later-passed "Stand your ground" law. Is all that rolled into the SDA now? Not that it matters, I just know all the "duty to retreat" language wasn't in the original SDA, but was in stand your ground.

It is "stand your ground" but it's also in the SDA law book. [Page 32 Para D]

The reference to family members employer and emplees is NOT in the lawbook but IS in the instructor manual.

Latest posts

Top Bottom