PTR-91 Break in at a range out here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypsy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This might turn out to be tricky. Rifle is a brand new PTR-91 MDL. 114 A3S K w/ MKE Collapsible Stock and Sig Romeo 7. Chambered in .308 CAL. of course.
PTR-91 MDL.114 A3SK.jpg

I'm not entirely convinced this needs a full break in period, but I want to at least meet PTR Industries halfway to say I followed a break in period so as not to void the warrantee. I'm mostly used to shooting at BLM land where nobody other than a BLM guy is looking around. Putting patches down a barrel at an indoor range could potentially get tricky.

Plan is to go on a slow day and time, patches already cut up, shoot my pistol for a few rounds first, check the weather. Then do a five, or hopefully ten round initial barrel break in. I have already been breaking in the range I have been frequenting, demonstrating 25 years knowledge of safe shooting and handling of firearms, playing by the rules to a T. Putting a boresnake down my barrel after shooting while the barrel is nearing cold. Haven't been bothered yet. At least one of the RSO's is a good knowledgeable guy.

Thing is I don't like being bothered and some of the older grumpier generation and younger dumber generation could potentially find a problem with this. I'm hoping I just get looked at sideways at the worst. Look at me weird all you want, I have a warrantee to keep.

I do everything with the barrel pointed downrange and in a safe manner. Think I will catch flak for doing this? or should I find a range where I won't mind getting kicked out? I read H&H might tolerate it heh.

Stock extended:
PTR-91 MDL.114 A3SK (R) (E).jpg

I'm sure it will be fine.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
If you are keeping the barrel pointed down range why would any one say anything.
Just let the RSO know what you are doing and tell the rest to stay out of your business .

Gypsy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like a plan. It's always good to check first. As far as why anyone would say anything? One might be surprised.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like a plan. It's always good to check first. As far as why anyone would say anything? One might be surprised.
And some folks will be surprised by my response.... Hang around some of us old grumpy guys with thinning filters , you will learn some stuffs andddd get some good laughs along the way!! Have fun breaking that barrel in and practice your number one sign!! :cool:

Gypsy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh man, I just kitted this thing out with Bosnia and Herzavagonia's 4th biggest export:
Screenshot_20230216_175449_Gallery.jpg

Feels robust. QD holes work. Looks okay but I didn't get it for looks. Might paint it a better black, polish it, or camo the whole gun. A scope, trigger job, and recoil reduction package might be in order after function and accuracy testing. I can pop so many balloons with this.

Latest posts

Top Bottom