PTSD and ccl's question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akgriffin

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have wanted to get my ccl for protection when travelling with my family. I am a vet with service connected ptsd, do take medication for anxiety. I have 13yrs military time, was cleet certified for DOC at OSP, and armed security cleet certified, but under OK law, i am not able to get a ccl or to even buy a gun. The job i use to have i pissed alot of people off, my wife with her job, an apartment manager has pissed people off, been threatened, attacked and our property stolen or vandelized. Am i reading the reg's wrong about the mental health portion, or am i completly out of luck? If there are any and i mean any questions, i will honestly answer them. I have no record or no history of violence. I just really want to find some answers to my questions. thanks.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think you are alright on getting your CWL. Having an anxiety disorder bought on by traumatic events doesn't seem like reason enough to deny a weapons permit but I could be completely wrong. I also happen to know several vets with PTSD diagnosis that also have their CWL. I've never asked them what they wrote down on the application or what documentation they provided.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A subject near and dear to my heart: PTSD by itself is not a disqualifier (PTSD scares the sheeple because they don't understand it). The key to PTSD is the underlying symptoms and conditions and the individual's response to them. Some of those conditions/responses could preclude you.

The applicable section in the SDA lawbook is 1290.10: Mandatory Preclusions. "Adjudication" is one key word...meaning you have to have been found incompetent in accordance with mental health law.

On the other hand, Paragraph 7 states: "Currently undergoing treatment for a mental illness, condition, or disorder. For purposes of this paragraph, "currently undergoing treatment for a mental illness, condition, or disorder" means the person has been diagnosed by a licensed physician as being afflicted with a substantial disorder of thought, mood, perception, psychological orientation, or memory that significantly impairs judgment, behavior, capacity to recognize reality, or ability to meet the ordinary demands of life;"

Key in that is "substantial" and "significantly impairs judgement, behaviour, capacity etc....". I don't know if your medication/treatment for anxiety fits that bill.

I would get all your ducks in a row, make sure your medical record is clear, and submit your application. Did you get your CLEET certs before or after your anxiety diagnosis?

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The other big thing is to make sure you disclose it all on your application. If you omit it, then your changes on that application are shot. I know of people who had diagnosed depression (not the same thing as PTSD, I understand), and took medication for it, but they disclosed it and had no issue getting approved eventually.

I think OSBI may have requested a letter from a physician detailing some things, but I cannot say for sure. I don't want this last part certified as fact yet, but I believe it to be accurate.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did you lose your CLEET cert because of it? Any restraining orders or anything?

That might cause problems.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You stated in your original post that "under OK law, i am not able to get a ccl or to even buy a gun."

Have you actually applied for your permit yet, or tried to buy a firearm in the State of Oklahoma? If you tried to buy a gun, and were rejected what did they reject you for?

I'd venture that if you truly cannot purchase a gun, the reason for that led to that denial would be enough to deny you a SDA permit as well.

akgriffin

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No i havent tried to buy a gun, but i have read the requirements on getting ccl. If i am right, there is a question on buying a pistol, that asks about mental health the last time i bought a pistol in 1991.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure of your exact situation but you can call OSBI and discuss it with them. Had a guy here locally that has a similar issue with PTSD, he called and OSBI told him it wouldn't be an issue.

Pay particular attention to the terms "adjudicated" and "involuntarily committed to a mental institution".

Either way, a phone call could clear it all up for you if you share the details with them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom