Pushmataha WMA Info needed for youth hunt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdlong

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
made full circle back in the kiamichi mountains in
anywhere on the refuge is pretty good. most try to hunt in the bottoms there seems to be so pretty nice deer down there.like deerslayer said talk to jack he is a good guy.we're going to do some archery hunting there this year when they open it to the public.i used to now my way around it real well but since i moved from albion i haven't hunted it in years.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Years ago was drawn several seasons in a row for black powder. That was before they had a black tongue (I think that was what they called it) epidemic that hurt the herd badly. Since then I think it has rebounded well. Area managers name was Ashley then....if my sketchy memory serves.

We hunted up in the NW corner off of what I think was called the river road.
About half way down the hill we found some pretty nice acorn flats that were close to some clear cut areas.

Had a bit of a run in with an old sow....ground hunting with no climbable trees near......and a one shot smoke pole. Comforting. Found a broken boar tusk and it was pretty big.....glad I didn't see him.

Never got to see the elk that used to be on the property but did see some tracks.

Reaction score
Hey, short sidebar/hijack if I may:

Is Push off-limits for 4-wheelers?

If yes, then, are there any places there that basically no one goes to, that you can only get to with a horse or on foot? I'd like to find a place like that to hunt with horse or mule, where I can get at least 1 mile or more off the nearest dirt WMA road, where the big boys hang out. What's my best bet for a place like this? Push, 3 Rivers, what? Thanks.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tad - Sometimes close in hunting spots can surprise you.....like Okla County. My best spot is near downtown OKC. I know people that have harvested some big bruisers just outside Edmond. Going 1 mile off the road can sometimes be good and sometimes you pass the deer going in. Deer are very adaptable when it comes to humans.

ryan7878

Marksman
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all of the useful info. I am in the military stationed at Camp Pendleton so I am not able to do the pre season scouting I am used to. So any help saves me time in the field. I put my niece in for a youth hunt and she was drawn. This will be the most memorable hunt of her life so I want to make sure it is a good one. I hunted Honobia most of my life so I know the terrain Pushmataha has to offer, but haven't hunted the WMA area. Any more tips please let me know. I would like to say one more thing...I joined the military 12 years ago. I hunted and fished my whole life, but after leaving in 98 things have really changed. I would come home on leave and so and so who used to let me hunt on thier land had died , or so and so had sold the land a couple of years before..etc..So being away has really cut into my places to hunt.. But I still have Honobia....

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
RYAN 7878 - I want you to call Jack Waymire at the Push Co WMA and tell him your situation with your niece and that you are currently active military and you need some help. I know Jack personally and I bet you might be surprised as to what he will do for her. I could be wrong but he has a soft spot.

ryan7878

Marksman
Reaction score
Will do Deerslayer. I actually called once before after your first reply, but he wasn't in. I have been so swamped at work I haven't called again. But I have a few days off so I will get in contact with him. Thanks alot brother for all of your help...

-Maximus-

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got a youth turkey hunt there, what a place to hunt. I had my longbeard at sunrise and was heading back to the cabin to check it in, when a guy and his son were driving around trying to hunt. They said, "you had any luck so far?" We showed em the longbeard in the back and told them we roosted him the night before and had to walk two hills to do so. I don't know if they got out and actually hunted but I would recommend leaving your truck and enjoy the awesome hills there. Good luck!

Latest posts

Top Bottom