question about competition shooting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalapeno

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am not new to guns but I have never competed in any compitition matches. I would like to get involved so what would be the best pistol shooting to start with? thanks.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Steel Challenge is a good way to start. The starting gear and skill requirements are very minimal, but there are top notch shooters there who can show you how its done. Depending on what you want out of pistol competition, IDPA and USPSA are more dynamic in nature.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Action pistol sports are lots of fun. Cowboy 3-Gun has lots of followers. You might also enjoy Oil Capital Rod & Gun Club's Defensive Practical Rifle. More sedate forms of competition, such as Military Bolt Action Rifle, NRA Bullseye rifle and others are out there locally.

seanmccanne

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jalapeno, the pistol you start with really depends on what you want to do. Have you thought about what kind of competitions you might want to shoot?

If you want to do USPSA (Action Pistol), you can start easily with a Glock, XD or M&P in 9mm with a good holster and a half a dozen magazines. You can run in IDPA with the same gun and magazines. The rules are different, in each, so check them out before you decide.

Steel challenge is a great way to start, as GtG said. You can shoot it with a 22 pistol and some magazines. That's it. There is one monthly at USSA in Tulsa and the OKC gun club in Arcadia is starting one up soon, too.

If you've got any questions, feel free to ask, and I'll see you at the range!

jalapeno

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
well thanks for the input. first let me say I have no idea what kind of competition I want to participate in. I currently have 2 xd pistols in 40 and I just picked up my first 1911 its a sw 1911pd and I am in the process of buying a sw 686 that already has a reddot, and a springfield 1911 that has had some trigger work done and a reddot scope. I would like to get into something that will be fun and easy to do without investing a lot of money to begin with.

camcow2002

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jalapeno, the pistol you start with really depends on what you want to do. Have you thought about what kind of competitions you might want to shoot?

If you want to do USPSA (Action Pistol), you can start easily with a Glock, XD or M&P in 9mm with a good holster and a half a dozen magazines. You can run in IDPA with the same gun and magazines. The rules are different, in each, so check them out before you decide.

Steel challenge is a great way to start, as GtG said. You can shoot it with a 22 pistol and some magazines. That's it. There is one monthly at USSA in Tulsa and the OKC gun club in Arcadia is starting one up soon, too.

If you've got any questions, feel free to ask, and I'll see you at the range!

theres also a monthly at oil capitol.

idleclamp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
well thanks for the input. first let me say I have no idea what kind of competition I want to participate in. I currently have 2 xd pistols in 40 and I just picked up my first 1911 its a sw 1911pd and I am in the process of buying a sw 686 that already has a reddot, and a springfield 1911 that has had some trigger work done and a reddot scope. I would like to get into something that will be fun and easy to do without investing a lot of money to begin with.

You have LOTS of options with that arsenal. I personally would recommend steel challenge or IDPA first. With steel challenge you just need a gun, ammo, and preferable 5 mags (but 3 would work). With IDPA, you need a holster, mag pouch, 3 mags, and some kind of cover garment. We all kinda look like photographers without cameras. In IDPA you could shoot ESP with the XD's, or CDP with the 1911, or SSR with the 686. Lots of options....

Latest posts

Top Bottom