question about competition shooting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkieZombies

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most people recommend IDPA as being more beginner friendly, but I started with USPSA and it's all I've done so far.

Find a club that is close to you and go try it out.
You generally need a holster and 3-5 mags.
Mag pouches/carriers can come later, just wear something with pockets.

Your first match just focus on having fun and being safe.
Go slow, take your time, and get a feel for it. Your XD40 would be perfect for USPSA production. The great thing about production division is its catered to stock handgun so you won't have to worry about competing with someone with a tricked out race gun.

I absolutely love it and prefer it to sitting behind a lane shooting a solitary paper target. Just doing competitive shooting by itself will improve your skills as well as reinforce safe gun handling habits.

Go for it!

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Which gun do you have the most magazines for? You can't shoot very many matches without at least 3 magazines.
I haven't found a shooting competition I didn't like yet but some are more fun than others to me.
Jump on YouTube and search for uspsa, idpa, steel challenge, SASS, etc and see what you think. I gave a bunch of videos of myself and my buddies shooting uspsa, 2 gun, 3 gun in the link below in my signature. If you want to join us at OKC gun club or HH for a uspsa match ID be happy to show you what I know.

Latest posts

Top Bottom