Question regarding ammo at gun ranges

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KipK

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Green tip has a steel penetrator in it and is thus magnetic. They also don't want steel cased rounds (sometimes aluminum too). Edit: You looking at Wilshire?
Yes, that's one of the one's I'm considering. I just need to go and shoot. I plan to ask a couple of friends from church to help me get started. It's been 30 yrs since I have shot a rifle.

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Indoor ranges are particular about what they allow to be shot.

Like others have said, powder build up over time can cause fires, so sparks near floor level are a problem. Brass and aluminum do not spark, but steel can when the strikes concrete -steel can spark.

Yes, unburned powder does get expelled from a gun and it accumulates down range.
With the number of rounds fired at an indoor range, a powder fire is bound to happen sooner or later if they allowed steel cases.

The backstops expensive and rated for a maximum caliber. AP/steel core rounds are outside the design specks and can tear up the backstop.

At some ranges you can only shoot ammo you buy there. Thats a profit center and gives them control over what goes down range. Many take issue with reloads, because that allows loads outside the rating of the backstop to sneak in.

As to selling the brass, yes, its more convenient not to have to sort the steel cases, but that can be done easily with a large magnet. If its just going to a scrap yard, then the aluminum cases are also an issue. If its going to reloaders, someone has to deal with sorting by caliber. Steel is a minor issue in the recycle stream.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, first off MOST steel case ammo has a steel jacket that is copper washed. (So does Winchester White box 308 and most military surplus ammo just FYI). It isn't the steel case they object to it is the sparking of steel on steel of bullet and backstop.
Now granted it is a very soft steel jacket around 83 or so on the Rockwell B scale, where a gilded, or copper jacket is around 42 on the B scale. Also an FYI the steel jacketed stuff DOES wear your bore more than a copper jacket, and I would never shoot it in a Stainless barrel, but you can if you want. You will just need to replace the barrel sooner IF you shoot that kind of volume.

mcrosenquist

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
H and h stated to me a lot of the steel cased Ammo has a steel core in them. The steel core degrades the berm quicker and can spark and cause fire. There is some steel cases Winchester ammo I believe that they allow because it’s loaded with a standard FMJ.

Latest posts

Top Bottom