Questions regarding private gun sale

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stackle2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always do a typed bill of sale, I put address, DL#, full name, & a "I can legally own the weapon in question...." Type of statement. Makes me feel better.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you should seek out a dealer who is willing to conduct the transaction for you.

Why would she do that?

Anyway, you don't have to ask them anything. It's up to buyer to know if they are legally able to buy a firearm. If you wanna ask if they are then that's up to you.
Now if it looks like a 14 kid then I might ask to see some ID to prove he 18+

StephanieD

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I bought because I wanted a semi auto rifle & it was really cool looking & I love shooting it -even more so than the pistols - but I don't know everywhere I look people are running down that particular gun which by the way I bought just a few weeks before Sandy Hook - and it sounds like they're going to ban it anyway. I just want to know about the legality of private sales - I'm still not for sure on selling it but if I do decide to I need to know if I can just list in the paper or what. Trust me I'm not turning anti-gun & will fight for the 2nd amendment - they take away people's guns in this country & I may just move out of it. Thanks for responding, Stephanie

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So what, I can just say "hey you're not mentally ill or a felon" and if they say no it's all good? They hand over the $$$ & I can hand over the gun no paperwork involved? Thanks for responding.

Stephanie

Pretty much!

As long as they are resident of Oklahoma. No paperwork or background checks are required on private party sales between residents. Now...keep in mind that just because paperwork is not REQUIRED doesn't mean its not a good idea. I usually want to do a bill of sale for "scary" rifles and handguns. However, I have both bought and sold with no bill of sale.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why would she do that?

Anyway, you don't have to ask them anything. It's up to buyer to know if they are legally able to buy a firearm. If you wanna ask if they are then that's up to you.
Now if it looks like a 14 kid then I might ask to see some ID to prove he 18+

Because people coming to the forum and asking baited questions about selling firearms in their first posts and qualifying it with statements like they bought it in Dec 2012 and now with all of the negative attention, they want to sell it is suspect of being a troll and at the least someone who was influenced by those who would work to take away our rights. That's why.

If she doesn't feel she's capable of handling this, then she should seek a dealer for assistance. Period.

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I bought because I wanted a semi auto rifle & it was really cool looking & I love shooting it -even more so than the pistols - but I don't know everywhere I look people are running down that particular gun which by the way I bought just a few weeks before Sandy Hook - and it sounds like they're going to ban it anyway. I just want to know about the legality of private sales - I'm still not for sure on selling it but if I do decide to I need to know if I can just list in the paper or what. Trust me I'm not turning anti-gun & will fight for the 2nd amendment - they take away people's guns in this country & I may just move out of it. Thanks for responding, Stephanie

If you are afraid they will ban it why would you want to part with it? Especially if you "love shooting it"?
If they are banned, you might not be able to get another one...

ttownokie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, you only need to ask if the person is a felon and if they are a resident of the state of Oklahoma. As long as they tell you that they are not a felon and they tell you they are a resident for Oklahoma you are good to go. You do not need to keep any record of the transaction.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, is this thread full of conspiracy theorist or what? Oklahoma private transfer allows you to be completely ignorant of the person purchasing the weapon. You can take the money and never see the person again. To keep your ability to sleep at night, take the rifle to a local gun dealer and sell it to them. There's absolutely no doubt this is OK and sidesteps any of the difference of opinions in this thread. You've indicated you have an AR or similar type of weapon. If so, chances are good that a dealer will pay you more than you have in the rifle...YOU WIN!

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, is this thread full of conspiracy theorist or what? Oklahoma private transfer allows you to be completely ignorant of the person purchasing the weapon. You can take the money and never see the person again. To keep your ability to sleep at night, take the rifle to a local gun dealer and sell it to them. There's absolutely no doubt this is OK and sidesteps any of the difference of opinions in this thread. You've indicated you have an AR or similar type of weapon. If so, chances are good that a dealer will pay you more than you have in the rifle...YOU WIN!

perhaps you'd understand if you read the original post before it was edited...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom