R700 243 price?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an older R700 in 243 I'm thinking about selling since I hardly use it anymore, and was wondering what a good price might be. Its pre-SPS synthetic stock, Timney trigger already installed, and has a 4-12 Nikon ProStaff on it. I was thinking around $650ish, but don't keep up with long guns much nowadays...

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The older Remington guns are getting a bit of a premium, so it pays to know which letter prefix the serial number on your action has.

I do not think $650 is a bad deal at all, and would probably sell pretty quickly. Many buyers always figure that a rifle chambered in a barrel burner cartridge already has that barrel shot out. You might be honest with your estimated round count, but at least 50% of the sellers out there aren't. So asking what a bare action, plastic stock, and scope are worth (probably close to $650), is a pretty fair price.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends on the year of manufacture honestly. There are some years that people shy away from. Generally early to mid 90s are the least desirable due to poor QC on Vista's part. Also depends on which model you have. ADLs were about 375. BDLs about 450 to 500. Used parts mean little. That trigger would bring 100 bucks on the market if you removed it. Nikon doesn't make that scope anymore, nor do they support them. I think you'd do well to get 650 fairly quickly in this market if it's a desirable action. If it's not, you might get 500.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends on the year of manufacture honestly. There are some years that people shy away from. Generally early to mid 90s are the least desirable due to poor QC on Vista's part. Also depends on which model you have. ADLs were about 375. BDLs about 450 to 500. Used parts mean little. That trigger would bring 100 bucks on the market if you removed it. Nikon doesn't make that scope anymore, nor do they support them. I think you'd do well to get 650 fairly quickly in this market if it's a desirable action. If it's not, you might get 500.
Nikon will still honor the warranty, but they'll basically substitute a non-scope product like their monarch binos or something in their place.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Hey boss, do you have any references for your data points in this post? I'm not trying to be the D-bag who is calling you out, but in order to better understand what you're saying I'd like to do some internet searching on my own.

My understanding (Google search) is that Vista bought parts of Remington in 2020. I'm totally missing your 1990s' reference to Vista, unless I am a moron (possible) and there is another Vista that was supposed to be doing QC in Ilion NY instead of it just being a parent holding firm. I know DuPont owned them until 1993.

My 1991 made 700 BDL has the slickest factory action of any non-custom rifle I've played with over the years. You might get close to it if you slathered a Tikka in baby oil, but more seriously - it is head and shoulders above the other Remingtons I've owned that were made between 2004 and 2016.

A Gunbroker check a few minutes ago has new blued carbon steel actions at $530-570, and used adjustable triggers (pre-X-Mark) at $45-75.

Anyway, not out here to start an argument. I just noticed several points of yours that I wasn't able to make sense in my head and was wondering if there were a direction you could point me in for your source of info.

Have a good one.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Snipershide.com, Longrangehunting.com, personal experience of collecting and having rifles built over the last 35 years. There are more desirable years of actions to have. Basically to G prefixes then RR on. I may have my years wrong on Vista's acquisition of Remington, but basically they let a lot of stuff slide out the door that wasn't top notch as had been expected from Remington. Case in point the 300BO AAC model I bought that had an incorrectly marked barrel and the wrong twist rate. Remington wouldn't even consider fixing it. I contacted one of the AAC guys through SH and they replaced it with the correct barrel free of charge and paid for shipping too.

Side note, Remington just started manufacturing actions again, but they can be bought for cheaper through companies like LRI, IF they have any left. If Josh bought the one I directed him to, he just got a stainless model for 550.

Like I said, I may have the acquisition dates off, but the quality speaks for itself. Roughly mid 90s cutoff to correct myself on the desirable ones.
https://www.google.com/search?q=rem...69i57j0i546.7500j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Latest posts

Top Bottom