Raining and cold. Worst day to go shoot my creedmoor so I did

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Found some 140 grain Hornady black box 6.5 creedmoor that at my gun loves.
In fully screwed down stress mode today and needed to cool the internals. Shooting behind the creedmoor is that vent.
200 yds but had to re-zero because I'd worked on the scope the other day. Gratefully on paper at 200 and put 10 rounds to get in the xring and put 10 rounds inside the x ring.
Felt great behind the gun. Good form and everything repeatable (extremely important at distance). Had fun and feel better.
rain, cold, creedmoor.JPG

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very good! Excellent shooting! I've got three rifles I want to get shot again well before deer season, if the weather will just let me! ( Oh, I'm not as tough as you are. I ain't getting out in the cold and rain!)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't let the weather bother you. Ha.
Only sissy's let the weather bother them....Ok, I take that back.:D
Just pumping you up for actually getting out there and testing your loads under actual conditions. I was curious long ago about how shooting in the rain would affect a bullet especially at longer ranges as I took a shot at a buck during a pouring rain years ago with a .270 that was walking 290 yards away. I actually led it by a few inches, and it dropped like a rock. Oh heck Ya!!
When I got to the deer it was trying to crawl away on its front two legs, so I shot it again with the pistol.
The original bullet actually hit both rear legs in the hamstrings evidently while in perfect alignment, hence the pursuit of more information about ballistics by myself and discovering a whole new world of shooting. With the advent of the internet, we have a huge resource to get in the ballpark of ballistics where final tuning with actual conditions will tell the tale. This incident was before the internet.

Ok, back story on the shot at the buck with the .270 and finishing with a pistol.
I got in the stand two hours before daylight and settled in with a little nap before daylight.
Rain started and I thought nothing was going to move but stayed in the stand for a couple of hours.
When I saw the buck, I took aim and got a snap. Looked at the rifle, worked the bolt, and realized the ammo was still in the truck. Empty gun.
I dug frantically through my backpack and found one round. That is the round that took the deer down, and had to be finished with the pistol.
He is far from the biggest buck I've killed but his head is on my wall among the others to remember that occasion and remind me to remember two things before going to the field to hunt.
Gun, ammo.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Only sissy's let the weather bother them....Ok, I take that back.:D
Just pumping you up for actually getting out there and testing your loads under actual conditions. I was curious long ago about how shooting in the rain would affect a bullet especially at longer ranges as I took a shot at a buck during a pouring rain years ago with a .270 that was walking 290 yards away. I actually led it by a few inches, and it dropped like a rock. Oh heck Ya!!
When I got to the deer it was trying to crawl away on its front two legs, so I shot it again with the pistol.
The original bullet actually hit both rear legs in the hamstrings evidently while in perfect alignment, hence the pursuit of more information about ballistics by myself and discovering a whole new world of shooting. With the advent of the internet, we have a huge resource to get in the ballpark of ballistics where final tuning with actual conditions will tell the tale. This incident was before the internet.

Ok, back story on the shot at the buck with the .270 and finishing with a pistol.
I got in the stand two hours before daylight and settled in with a little nap before daylight.
Rain started and I thought nothing was going to move but stayed in the stand for a couple of hours.
When I saw the buck, I took aim and got a snap. Looked at the rifle, worked the bolt, and realized the ammo was still in the truck. Empty gun.
I dug frantically through my backpack and found one round. That is the round that took the deer down, and had to be finished with the pistol.
He is far from the biggest buck I've killed but his head is on my wall among the others to remember that occasion and remind me to remember two things before going to the field to hunt.
Gun, ammo.
Everyone forgets something they need, when they head for the stand. Ha. I would have told the story as this: "There it was, the buck that would soon grace my wall. I carry only one round on every hunt. One shot, one hit and one kill is the motto I've always lived by" something like that...Ha

Latest posts

Top Bottom