Read The Law, Jack!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
A VERY recent post made me think of one of my biggest pet peeves regarding many gun owners. I am referring to those folks, who incidentally are usually the most vocal, who argue one way or another with regards to what is and is not legal when it comes to firearms. For example, I had a dispute some months ago with a guy who just would not accept that there is nothing in Oklahoma's gun laws that says it is illegal to carry a gun in a bank. Of course this is because they are private businesses, but he assumed guns were illegal in them. He had never read the law, but still chose to argue the point.
The recent post I'm referring to had a guy advising another member that LEO's couldn't require a CCW holder to produce their license, which is completely false.
My point is that, in my opinion, one of the first thing a person should do in order to be a responsible gun owner is to become familiar with the law. In my case, as I travel for a living, I have to read laws for every state I visit or even drive through just to make sure I'm not getting myself into a bind.
In this day and age where information is available like never before, it's just too easy to educate ourselves.

twotonevert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought everything we read on the internet is true? LOL, you MUST read the law for yourselves. We took a 22 state motorcycle ride this summer. I read all I could and then I called the State police in each state to make sure I understood correctly. New England states are pain the butt, but I knew what I could and could not do.

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Since I've been working here in Wyoming so close to Yellowstone Park I've gone there several times to goof off. As that just happens to be grizzly bear territory, I always carry a gun along with my bear spray. Even the locals will swear up and down that you can't carry in the park because it's a national park. Of course none of them ever read the law because the opposite is true but that didn't stop them from arguing until I showed them. People seem to just really hate to say, "I don't know".

Surveyor1653

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guys, when it comes to contacting other states for info after you've read their handgun code, I recommend calling the AG's office rather than the State Police. Ask for an Assistant/Deputy AG and ask them to clarify the rule for you. Make sure to ask if there is an opinion on the rule already. Not saying the person won't know but in my experience the AG's folks know what you're looking for better than law enforcement. That's been my experience. I had a conversation with an AAG who have me his cell number and told me to call him if i had any issues while traveling through his state and thanked me for taking the time to call.

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Guys, when it comes to contacting other states for info after you've read their handgun code, I recommend calling the AG's office rather than the State Police. Ask for an Assistant/Deputy AG and ask them to clarify the rule for you. Make sure to ask if there is an opinion on the rule already. Not saying the person won't know but in my experience the AG's folks know what you're looking for better than law enforcement. That's been my experience. I had a conversation with an AAG who have me his cell number and told me to call him if i had any issues while traveling through his state and thanked me for taking the time to call.

I haven't really seen any state gun laws that were hard to decipher. I seriously doubt many folks are gonna AG.

Latest posts

Top Bottom