Really need advice - tactical rifle under $900 ideally

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevie_d

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So.. I'm putting together my SHTF arsenal. I have a highly modded 9mm CZ 75, a CZ Ultra Lux 22 rifle, a Stoeger P-350 pump (currently undergoing paint stripping, getting ready for duracoat), and a Mosin.

All of the above you can amass ammo for pretty easily. I am looking for a semi-auto battle rifle, tactical rifle, whatever you want to call it. I'd love to get a Keltec SU-16c in 5.56, but they are so hard to find. I'm also open to AK-variants, whether 5.45 or 7.62 (5.45 actually sounds kinda cooler to me!).

What can you guys recommend, under $900 (but cheaper would be awesome, as I still want a semi-auto 22 and other random things)? Consider also, bulk ammo price. I'm approaching each option as not just the price of the gun, but the gun plus 2000 rounds of ammo over its life - that's what I see as "total price".

Thanks for any suggestions!

stevie_d

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Build an AR? I have under 550 in mine. Olympic arms upper and spikes lower all mil spec, with a cheap, yet decent 4x scope.

How is it? 5.56 seems kinda weak to me, as 7.62 seems heavier hitting and 5.45 seems more flesh-damaging. I'm not anti-AR though. Seems like most people frown on "cheaper" AR's though. Is it reliable? Is it accurate? The other thing that appeals to me is "ease of maintenance". I like how a lot of AK variants are meant to be "run no matter what guns". Are their AR's that can live up to that?

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends on what you call cheap, mine would cost a lot more if I had not had the time to shop for decent prices. I have no idea how it shoots yet, just put it all together last week and will take it Saturday for a test run. Just a suggestion.

stevie_d

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends on what you call cheap, mine would cost a lot more if I had not had the time to shop for decent prices. I have no idea how it shoots yet, just put it all together last week and will take it Saturday for a test run. Just a suggestion.

I'll be awaiting your opinion after you shoot it! I'm not in a rush... I just want guns that get projectiles where I'm pointing, particularly if the projectiles are powerful and affordable. Not after "fancy". :D

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
stevie_d said:
I'll be awaiting your opinion after you shoot it! I'm not in a rush... I just want guns that get projectiles where I'm pointing, particularly if the projectiles are powerful and affordable. Not after "fancy". :D

That was my deal. I wanted simple and functional for my first one. I would love to have one like some of these other guys have, but if I can take mine and accurately put the lead where I want it, then I will be happy with what I have. Mine has zero fancy, just practical. I build mine for the same purpose your wanting.

stevie_d

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd love to see some pics at some point. Again, I have zero experience with AR or AK platforms, just looking what makes sense function wise. No extras that serve no utility.

Latest posts

Top Bottom