Recent AK Refinish...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gotta question for you duracoat people...when you duracoat an AR receiver, what kind of prep work is involved?

Mostly my curiosity, but I do have some FDE duracoat sitting around...

AresV

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
very nice!
the next one will be perfect.
did you use bulldog stencils?

Yep, their "Multi-Spec" templates lack the larger blotches found in the actual MC pattern. The next time around I'm going to use some of their woodland stencils to get some bigger blobs on the gun.

I've got a couple of AR's that I'll be doing soon and there's a few tricks I learned to make it go smoother this time around that I'll be able to employ when I do those.

AresV

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That looks awesome. You should add some pics to Bootlegn's guns in snow thread.

How did you strip off off the earlier finish?

I'll throw these in there, hadn't seen that thread yet.

To strip the paint (and the factory finish in the process) I used the $1.37 cans of Brake Cleaner from Wal-Mart. It's essentially the same thing as Gunscrubber (MEK), only slightly more agressive, but without the quick evaporating agent added to it. So you just have to watch it and have high pressure air handy to blow it dry after you spray it.

Make sure you wear a respirator when stripping something, you don't want to breathe that stuff in. Same goes for spraying the DC, that is not something you want in your lungs, believe me.

AresV

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gotta question for you duracoat people...when you duracoat an AR receiver, what kind of prep work is involved?

Mostly my curiosity, but I do have some FDE duracoat sitting around...

AR receivers are pretty easy. I just clean the crap out of them, scrub them with a gray scotch brite pad to rough up the surface, then clean the surface again to remove any existing dust/residue and shoot it.

I've got an AR I did in kind of a tannish/greenish/gray with a lot of DC flattening agent added to it that turned out nicely. I'll post some pics in a few weeks after I touch up a couple spots on it that I messed up when putting the LPK in (doh!).

AresV

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's interesting. I thought some kinda voodoo would be required because of the finish on those things...

Might have to give it a go. :rubhands:

Nope, they're actually pretty easy.

If you want to spray some Magpul furniture (which I did) I'd recommend sandblasting it to rough the finish up so the DC will stick better.

AresV

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How bout sandblasting the AR receivers? I have a blasting cabinet...

Would you blast all plastic (i.e.: GLOCK lower)?

I've done a few Glock lowers and I always blast the lower (taping off the inside and frame rails of course).

I don't think blasting the AR receivers are necessary to get a good finish. You can do it, but it requires a TON of prep because you don't want to blast (or DC) inside the mag well, trigger pin holes, etc.

I prefer the aforementioned method for the AR receivers and unless I have issues with the finish down the line, I would have to say that's the way to go unless you're just into creating extra work for yourself ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom