Smith and Wesson 617 .22lr discussion and good experience at BigBoys

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an original 617 no dash I bought when they first came out. Boxed with factory SB combats. I shot it once and it lives in a safe place now. I have a shooter 617- something 10 shot that is right out of the box one of my favorite guns on the planet.
Good to hear! Glad you chimed in as well. Do you work on these guns? I figured if I ever needed anything done to it you’d be the guy I’d contact

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of my favorites!
617 no-dash 8-3/8, all as from factory. She's a shooter!
(Bottom one)

20240308_170555.jpg

Kid Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good to hear! Glad you chimed in as well. Do you work on these guns? I figured if I ever needed anything done to it you’d be the guy I’d contact
IMO, if you do ream, and you have the time and expertise to do so comfortably, unless you have access to the proper finish reamer, cutting oil, T-handle, etc. and you have to acquire (either purchase or rent) reamer, you're way ahead to just contact SPD .

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMO, if you do ream, and you have the time and expertise to do so comfortably, unless you have access to the proper finish reamer, cutting oil, T-handle, etc. and you have to acquire (either purchase or rent) reamer, you're way ahead to just contact SPD .
This. David touched up a 63 for me that had very difficult extraction. No change in accuracy but extracts/ejects like dream now. (Also bought a 17 with all the Ts from him that is now a favorite.)

I am sure you all know this and do this every time. Took me a little bit to figure it out because I am dense but if you'll point your muzzle straight up when you eject, you have much less chance of getting unburnt powder flakes and crap under the star. These fine fitted models really benefit from it. I have a 648 that would tie up after nearly every cylinder-full till I figured it out. SOP for me now.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve owned………well, several of these fantastic revolvers, in several variants.
There have been periods when S&W’s QC has been suspect, but in most respects the 617 and its predecessors are just awesome.
Go pick your gun up before somebody finds a way to get it away from you.

JRR

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I’ve recently decided I want a full size double action .22 revolver. Preferably 10 shot. My research led me to the conclusion that the Smith 617 is probably my preferred choice over the GP100 .22lr or the colt offerings. Not interested in Taurus, RIA, etc…

So I began the hunt. There was a 617 that sold recently on here with the speedbees speedloader package and man I would’ve loved to purchase that one! But either way calling around they seem to be somewhat hard to find. They can be ordered, but rarely are they in stock somewhere.

I walked into Big Boys, even after the associate on the phone told me they didn’t have one. Well, as I looked through the cases, sure enough there was a used 4” 617 for $729… I was in a rush that day so I put in on layaway real quick and left. Today I went back while I had some time and I did a thorough inspection on it. I checked timing/screw head condition/lock up/cylinder for signs of dry fire/forcing cone and crown inspection with a jewelers loupe, etc… from reading online it sounds like these 10 shots can be finicky, and I was unsure if I wanted to buy used or just go ahead and spend $250 more and order a new one.. Well during my inspection the guy revealed to me that on used guns they allow you to test them on the range.

So I paid the $15 to spend to spend some time with it on the range. I shot 100rnds of cheap .22 ammo through it and it functioned perfectly! Super accurate, excellent trigger, great feel in my hand, wow! Hands down my favorite.22lr revolver I’ve ever shot. I left it on layaway and I feel great about it now.

I didn’t think to take a picture of it while I was at the range. But I will post pictures when I get it out of jail after a paycheck or two.

Anyone else in here own a 617? What’s y’all’s experience been with them?
I've owned every variant of the 617 S&W has made. All were excellent 22 shooters, but... none were as accurate as my model 17. My model 17, I will never sell. Though it was the most accurate 22 ever made! Until I bought this,
Colt Frontier Scout, 9.5" made 1958. This revolver has the best "point and shoot" ability of any 22 I've ever owned. I bring it up to about 6" above waist height, cock and shoot. At 7 yard steel plates, 6" round, I knock all 6 plates down. My buddy watched me do this repeatedly and he tried it with the same results. Yes you can look down the sights and hit the target but point and shoot is way more fun. I think that's how old time gun fights were won. This Colt, I will never sell.
Just my two cents.

Attachments

• IMG_2292.jpg
    IMG_2292.jpg
    147.2 KB

Latest posts

Top Bottom