Recoil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@adamsredlines

recoil.jpg

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shot my friends .416 Rigby a couple weeks ago and it wasn't fun. Shot it once and put it down. He also has a .416 Weatherby and after watching him take a beating I didn't want anything to do with it. My .375 H&H is not even in the same ballpark with that recoil wise.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never got to shoot any of the .416's but, if I was gonna' add another big bore that's probably what it would be.
I don't really mind my .375's or the .458 Win Mag, but I don't want to shoot them all day! And, nowadays, I'm having so much shoulder trouble ... even after the surgeries ... I'm kinda' shy to spend too much time behind the really hard hitters.

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never got to shoot any of the .416's but, if I was gonna' add another big bore that's probably what it would be.
I don't really mind my .375's or the .458 Win Mag, but I don't want to shoot them all day! And, nowadays, I'm having so much shoulder trouble ... even after the surgeries ... I'm kinda' shy to spend too much time behind the really hard hitters.
He's going to Africa this summer so he's trying to get used to shooting them. I don't know how anyone could shoot the Weatherby without having a serious flinch, 400 grain bullets about 2700-2800 fps. I've shot big stuff before but that's to much for me, he's about 70 years now.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
375s are probably the sweet spot of power but not much recoil considering. Enough stopping power to do most anything.
I've said it before but the people's description of the Lotts recoil is worse than the actual recoil. It kicks for sure but not nearly as bad as people make it out to be IMO.

Never have had the opportunity to shoot a 416.

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
375s are probably the sweet spot of power but not much recoil considering. Enough stopping power to do most anything.
I've said it before but the people's description of the Lotts recoil is worse than the actual recoil. It kicks for sure but not nearly as bad as people make it out to be IMO.

Never have had the opportunity to shoot a 416.
Most all the Weatherby calibers have a real fast snappy recoil and the .378 all the way up to the .460 are flat nasty to shoot. The Rigby is manageable, kinda like a heavy shotgun load but the one he has had a thin hard rubber recoil pad that was worthless he's since put a good one on it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom