Reel Repair

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Anyone know of a person or place in the OKC area who does reel repair? I have a Shakespeare spinning reel that I accidentally dunked in the water and ever since then it has been difficult to reel, and the reverse lock does not work.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
SoonerATC said:
Anyone know of a person or place in the OKC area who does reel repair? I have a Shakespeare spinning reel that I accidentally dunked in the water and ever since then it has been difficult to reel, and the reverse lock does not work.

I'm going to retire in a couple of years. I need to figure out if reel repair/rod building/gun smithing is going to be in my future.

crazyfish

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
SoonerATC said:

It probably just needs a good cleaning and lubing. The only place I know of in OKC is Mr. Tackle in MWC. But I don't think I'd recommend them. It's fairly easy to do a spinning reel. You could probably do it yourself. Take it apart. Clean it with dishwashing soap and a tooth brush. Dry it out and re-lube the gears with grease and the bearings with some light oil. Put it back together.

Bassin'ForLife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd give it a good cleaning first, and while you take it apart, you can usually see if something is broken and needs a new part. I've used Mr. Tackle in the past to get hard to find spinning reel parts, didn't cost much, and two of my favorite reels got fixed. Had to get a new lever for the anti-reverse, and a screw to hold the reel handle in...both of which they had.

Latest posts

Top Bottom