Refinished Post War Birch Garand Stock

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just sharing the before and after pics of an aged oil finish applied to my post war replacement birch stock.

The stock had been lightly sanded at some point, but unfortunately cross grain in several places. A couple denatured alcohol scrubs really helped bring the grain back out. After some light work with 0000 steel wool and a couple oil scrubs, the cross grain sanding marks were no longer visible. I tried my best to copy the finish of an original birch stock that is pictured in an CMP birch stock shaping and refinishing thread over on surplusrifle's forum.

BLO and Feibing's dyes were used for the aged oil finish. The first dye treatment was with British Tan and the second was with Medium Brown. I normally use Tom's 1/3 mix, but ended up using Johnsons Paste Wax for the first time since it gave a little more of a glossy sheen. The lower handguard had a small crack above the op rod which was repaired with epoxy before applying the finish.

Here are the pics:

Before:

ai181.photobucket.com_albums_x97_mach_won_Garand50.jpg

ai181.photobucket.com_albums_x97_mach_won_Garand020.jpg

Original finish on Birch Stock:

ai181.photobucket.com_albums_x97_mach_won_81130379.jpg

After:

ai181.photobucket.com_albums_x97_mach_won_GarandRefinished119edited_2.jpg

ai181.photobucket.com_albums_x97_mach_won_GarandRefinished116edited_2.jpg

ai181.photobucket.com_albums_x97_mach_won_GarandRefinished108edited.jpg

Last edited:

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words guys.

I love using BLO with Feibings alcohol based dyes on old milsurp rifles. It's a great way of getting that reddish oxidized oil look that US battle rifles have while avoiding the pig in a prom dress / just refinished look. The dye also highlights all the of worn areas so it gives stocks a nice aged appearance. Here's a great how-to link if anyone gets an itch to give it a try...

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=137&t=73332

Latest posts

Top Bottom