Refinishing a pistol-Need help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Locnload8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a Colt Detective special 38 and a ruger mark 2 lower receiver that I need to media blast and get coated. Any ideas? I have been told gun blueing for the 38 because of the thickness issue for the locking up of the cylinder. I have a couple of days off work and would like to do it myself. Also would like to rent some time behind someones media blaster. Im in the Moore/ OKC area so if you have one I could pay in cash or ammo for some time. I have also heard about a product from Brownells but cant remember the name. Just looking to tinker so not too worried about sendin it to a professional. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks Jack

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd do bluing on the .38 simply because "it just looks right". Polish it up to 2000 grit, then blue it, you'll have a REALLY nice looking pistol. I much more recommend hot blue if you really want a nice looking pistol.

The Ruger, I'd have fun with it. Try some duracoat or permacoat... do it in a color, or colors you like.

Stan

RKM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bluing only adds about 0.0001" to the surface of the metal. I have assembled many revolvers for bluing and have never had any problems because of the bluing. I had my Colt Cobra powder coated because of the alloy frame. The powder coat seems to have held up pretty well. Some members use Duracoat for their finishes. All the example that I have seen on these boards look pretty good. I has seen parkerized Colts that turned out pretty nice too.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you misunderstood RKM... and I did at first, but I had to re-read the OP three times.

I think, and I could be wrong, but I think what he was saying is that others have told him that he would need to blue the revolver because he could get lock-up issues if he went with a coating.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think you misunderstood RKM... and I did at first, but I had to re-read the OP three times.

I think, and I could be wrong, but I think what he was saying is that others have told him that he would need to blue the revolver because he could get lock-up issues if he went with a coating.

that's what i read too.

i think the blueing would look the best anyways.

Latest posts

Top Bottom