Refrigerant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Need to top off a condenser with R22. Anyone know of source? I have used mine over the years on a slow [legal] leak. Need maybe 2 lbs. I need to get by another year before replacing.
I installed these in 1992 in my own home when I was licensed. I let my license expire years ago.
Of course I will sign letter for resale to remain legal. Isn't it wonderful what the EPA and greenies have done to the price of refrigerants?
If this post is out of line may the MODS delete it.

Attachments

• IMG_7574.jpeg
    IMG_7574.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:

1Mudman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its ridiculous the prices Heat and Air charge to put in 2 lbs of R22. I have a unit that I have replaced coils and other things. I have spent thousands of dollars on this unit and it still has a slow leak. Last summer I had 2 fans and start run capacitors on separate units go bad. I went to Locke supply and they didnt want to sell them to me because I didnt have a EPA number or some license number. After a discussion with the young lady behind the counter with me explaining that there would be no R 22 or refrigerant involved and the manager showing up I was able to make purchase. My wife went into the other side of the store and bought the items for a the other unit with no problems. Money save for two 30 min jobs was about $400 bucks! The same applies with aerobic system. The first 3 times I had to get rebuilt air pumps replaced was $700 and thats been 6 years ago. I went online and found rebuild kits for $25 and brand new, exact same pumps for less that $200 bucks. Simpley pull the breaker, take old pump off and install new pump. Literally a 10 to 15 minute job! 3 wires, hot, negative and ground. Black, White and Green. Being retired and collecting tools and a good Volt/Ohm meter and a little YouTube your can sure fix things pretty easily. Im tired of being ripped off by greedy business owners!

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bought some MO99 (R22) replacement off ebay a couple years back and some R22 a couple years before that, just had to e sign a form. Looks like ebay has gotten out of the refrigerant business but found this and looks like the price has more than doubled.
https://abilityrefrigerants.com/product/mo99/Got a new unit last year and trying to find some R410a just to set back for when the dimowats ban all refrigerants but it's as hard to find as R22.

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How many pounds do you figure youd need?
2 lbs. max. Likely one pound since it's a 24k btu. Suction around 60 lbs. with both evaporator and condenser clean. [Unusual for this old of a system].
I installed a sight glass, believe it or not, in 1992. Got bubbles.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just googled craigslist okc and found R22 and for around $44 a pound.
Times 30 lbs though and you are looking at about 1300.

There is a unit for sale on craigslist and they may have let the compressor suck in all the R22.
You could get that out of the unit etc etc etc.

I have done that on cars. Take the R12 from one and put it in another.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just googled craigslist okc and found R22 and for around $44 a pound.
Times 30 lbs though and you are looking at about 1300.

There is a unit for sale on craigslist and they may have let the compressor suck in all the R22.
You could get that out of the unit etc etc etc.

I have done that on cars. Take the R12 from one and put it in another.
It won’t be long with this pricing, people will wake up some morning and find their system evacuated by Freon thieves.

Latest posts

Top Bottom