Refrigerant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Need to top off a condenser with R22. Anyone know of source? I have used mine over the years on a slow [legal] leak. Need maybe 2 lbs. I need to get by another year before replacing.
I installed these in 1992 in my own home when I was licensed. I let my license expire years ago.
Of course I will sign letter for resale to remain legal. Isn't it wonderful what the EPA and greenies have done to the price of refrigerants?
If this post is out of line may the MODS delete it.
I would recommend replacing as soon as possible, prices have basically doubled in the last 18 months. They will continue to go up.

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It won’t be long with this pricing, people will wake up some morning and find their system evacuated by Freon thieves.
True. Much more valuable than copper.
When I get it charged I will pump it down and check the lines and evaporator for leakage with a vacuum.
Then look for a leak on the condenser. After this much time there should be some oil.

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
410A is $95 a pound from the hvac techs I use. They said in 2025 there will be a new freon out. 410A is being
phased out now. So the price will just go up. If you search the web there are drop in refrigerants for R22,
410A etc. They are a lot cheaper. I have heard some guys just use propane. Only problem there is
chance of explosion or it leaking into your house. The democrat crazies are wrecking the hvac business and
the consumer. I guess we knew if Trump lost we would be finished as a nation. So get ready for much worse things in the future.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
PM sent. :)
True. Much more valuable than copper.
When I get it charged I will pump it down and check the lines and evaporator for leakage with a vacuum.
Then look for a leak on the condenser. After this much time there should be some oil.
You may want to swap out the coil while you've got it pumped down. That's where most of the leaks show up.

Last edited:

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
410A is $95 a pound from the hvac techs I use. They said in 2025 there will be a new freon out. 410A is being
phased out now. So the price will just go up. If you search the web there are drop in refrigerants for R22,
410A etc. They are a lot cheaper. I have heard some guys just use propane. Only problem there is
chance of explosion or it leaking into your house. The democrat crazies are wrecking the hvac business and
the consumer. I guess we knew if Trump lost we would be finished as a nation. So get ready for much worse things in the future.
Most small appliances use the propane base refrigerant now days. Same as in Europe.
If some one could make it non flammable we could put those Duponts and Honeywell's out
of business. It's actually more efficient than anything out there. Draws less current too.
I grabbed a can of 410A while eBay sold it a couple years ago. Now ebay doesn't sell any refrigerant.
The 410A is for a mini split in the master bed room.

Last edited:

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have excess vibration from an out of balance condenser fan causing fractures?
Something is causing it.
The first evaporator had leaks in the braze joints at the elbows. They were Amana made in Mexico.
Story was that the braze compound was acidic and pin holes developed after 10 or 15 years.
I don't know though. The current evaporator coil is a cheap Aspen. We'll see if it's the leaker.

Latest posts

Top Bottom