Refrigerator Repair?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Heeler

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bought a home that has an outdoor kitchen and the mini-refrigerator is not cooling. Does anyone know a quality appliance repair person/company that they would recommend in the Edmond/OKC area? Thanks!

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Just my opinion, but if it’s a mini fridge, a new one probably won’t cost much more that the repair. Many of the minis don’t have a valve for recharging the freon. If you decide to repair, Eric’s Refrigeration. I think his name is Eric Steele. It’s been a while so not 100% sure on that.

Blue Heeler

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just my opinion, but if it’s a mini fridge, a new one probably won’t cost much more that the repair. Many of the minis don’t have a valve for recharging the freon. If you decide to repair, Eric’s Refrigeration. I think his name is Eric Steele. It’s been a while so not 100% sure on that.
Thanks! I was looking into replacing it. Need to know if a replacement can withstand being on a covered patio outdoors. Some dedicated “outdoor” refrigerators are pricey.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
DL's right. With minis it's usually cheaper to just replace them, if you can. I replaced the compressor on one a few years ago and it was $300.

EDIT: Any fridge should be OK on a covered patio outdoors with proper ventilation. You just have to remember that when it gets below 40 degrees, you unplug it so it's not pushing frozen oil around.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One thing I didn't mention earlier, if it's one of those outdoor commercial stainless models (True, Deerfield, etc) you can NOT get one of those for the same price as repairing. In that case I'd probably get it repaired for the $300 or so, or if money was an issue I'd put it in storage until i could get it repaired. Just throw it in a shed somewhere out of the rain.

Then replace it short term with a $100 Samsclub mini fridge. For repair I liked a little mom and pop refrigeration shop around Reno, but my phone is waiting on parts and I can't remember the name. I'll have it running again on Saturday and can post up the name then.

Blue Heeler

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of the issues with using most of the smaller, mini refrigerators is that they are free-standing and need 4" on each side. My unit is an undercounter type that is mounted in dry-stack. Have plenty of room on the back side but none on the sides.

Blue Heeler

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One thing I didn't mention earlier, if it's one of those outdoor commercial stainless models (True, Deerfield, etc) you can NOT get one of those for the same price as repairing. In that case I'd probably get it repaired for the $300 or so, or if money was an issue I'd put it in storage until i could get it repaired. Just throw it in a shed somewhere out of the rain.

Then replace it short term with a $100 Samsclub mini fridge. For repair I liked a little mom and pop refrigeration shop around Reno, but my phone is waiting on parts and I can't remember the name. I'll have it running again on Saturday and can post up the name then.
I can't find a brand name on the refrigerator but the grill and sink say Lynx. Never heard of them. I just did a search on Lynx in OKC and found one dealer (Metro Appliances & More). If I could use a regular mini refrigerator, replacing sounds MUCH better than paying for a repair. To your point, replacing with a dedicated outdoor unit is pricey.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't find a brand name on the refrigerator but the grill and sink say Lynx. Never heard of them. I just did a search on Lynx in OKC and found one dealer (Metro Appliances & More). If I could use a regular mini refrigerator, replacing sounds MUCH better than paying for a repair. To your point, replacing with a dedicated outdoor unit is pricey.
4" on each side is nonsense lawyer speak for CYA purposes. You need back ventilation for the compressor heat to escape and you'll be more than fine. You could downsize the unit also and get clearance all around if you (or the wife) is hung up on the 4" thing, but it might look funny if it's got gaps all around. Like a motorcycle parked in a warehouse.

Also, if you're just swapping for a Samsclub mini and you have no ventilation at all, you can replace it every 2-3 years and still come out ahead.Or you could cut out slits and ventilate it yourself. Unless it's rock. I wouldn't want to mess with cutting rocks.
Congrats on the new house!

Latest posts

Top Bottom