Reloading 45 ACP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the Lymans for around the house and 2 different Digital manuals and have read them and have been reading the reloading stickies on a couple different shooting forums. Also youtube has endless amounts of videos to watch and learn.

Have been studying pretty heavy since before Christmas!! So I am ready to start putting all this info into practice!!

Thanks for all the info!
If you reach a point where you have any questions at all about what your doing. Stop and get some answers. Its a fun rewarding hobby to save some money if you shoot a lot, but there are risks.
Good Luck!

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Bought some 230gr TMJ at Village tactical today $65 after taxes for 500, They don't have a lot of choice but did have what I was looking for.

Will definitely take it slow and easy Dennis!!

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
$65 is a good price for TMJ bullet, it is hard to order them for that. I have found village tactical to have competitive prices. do you know who made the TMJ bullets? What powder are you going to use? check your cases and make sure they are all the same size primer.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Watch the size on the plated bullets most are .452"
This can cause feeding issues.. especially in Kimber custom pistols.

.452 is the standard size for lead bullets in .45ACP. If a .452 bullet causes a feeding issue the problem isn't the bullet, it's the gun or mag. Billions of them have been fired in revolvers, autos and carbines over the last 106 years or so.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The bullets are made by Xtreme, using w231. As far as the primers go I have some that are small primer pockets and so I am laying them to the side until further research. Have only found one source that says it does not matter which primer for the load data I am using in a 45 acp.
source said the small primers are better these days so will be no issues but I want more input before I go with it. Have plenty of large primer casings so no issue there.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bought some 230gr TMJ !!

The bullets are made by Xtreme, using w231.

I believe those are going be copper plated instead of jacketed. I'm not aware of Xtreme making any jacketed bullets, and that price follows a plated price tag.

I've loaded a few thousand of their .45 bullets in various weights and profiles without issues, but I've since changed back to jacketed bullies almost exclusively. I use Montana Gold 230gr HPs and they run just over $0.19 each by the case. That is about as cheap as I ever see for a quality jacketed bullet. Yell, if you want a small handful to try out.

As far as the primers go I have some that are small primer pockets and so I am laying them to the side until further research. Have only found one source that says it does not matter which primer for the load data I am using in a 45 acp.
source said the small primers are better these days so will be no issues but I want more input.

I actually prefer small primer .45 over large.
Less I have to change over on my press.
An occasional missed wrong primer size won't lock up the press or chance detonating a primer. I'll feel no resistance when placing the primer and just swap it.

I have a friend that hates SPP .45 so much, he gives me 2:1 trade for LPP brass. ;)

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Enjoy the ride. .45ACP is in my opinion one of the best rounds to learn to reload on of all. I load plinkers, Bullseye long line and bullseye short line for .45ACP, all different, but easily understood. I find with .45 the OAL is most important and the crimp, or lack there of the least. If ya get frustrated, give a yell. Any of us will jump in with our favorite recipe and rituals. Good luck and enjoy.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with using small primer. 45 for reloading, it's just a pain in the ass to be on a steady roll and then your press locks all the sudden cause a small primer brass snuck in your pile of large primer.
The folks responsible for introducing small primers in .45ACP need to be lynched by their nuts.
What an ignorant move to same a dime.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loaded 150 bullets today!! Headed to the range early tomorrow to see if all the studying and planning worked. Also going to run some ammo through my AK 47 just cause that thing is a hoot to shoot!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom