Remington 5R PSS 300 Win Mag

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dugby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am looking for some suggestions as to how to get this rifle to shoot better.

It does about a minute plus and that doesn't really suit me. Tried a couple of factory rounds. Hornady Superperformance 180 grain and Hornady TAP 178 grain A-max.

I also loaded berger 168's with IMR 4831. Re-crowned the rifle and it made no difference. The rifle cleans very easily for a factory gun.

It may be that I am more accustomed to softer rounds and don't have a good technique on the front rest?

Different Powder? Which one?

Really looking at anything short of just putting a custom barrel on it. I have heard a lot of good things about the Remington 5r factory barrels.

Thanks.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am looking for some suggestions as to how to get this rifle to shoot better.

It does about a minute plus and that doesn't really suit me. Tried a couple of factory rounds. Hornady Superperformance 180 grain and Hornady TAP 178 grain A-max.

I also loaded berger 168's with IMR 4831. Re-crowned the rifle and it made no difference. The rifle cleans very easily for a factory gun.

It may be that I am more accustomed to softer rounds and don't have a good technique on the front rest?

Different Powder? Which one?

Really looking at anything short of just putting a custom barrel on it. I have heard a lot of good things about the Remington 5r factory barrels.

Thanks.

I wouldn't re-barrel that rifle - it should easily be sub-MOA capable.

Was the rifle new when you got it? Have you removed the action from the stock ever? What scope/base/rings are you using?

How are you shooting it (from a rest, bipod, kneeling/sitting/standing/prone, etc.)?

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
awww.orchardphoto.com_h29zo99.jpg
This load has been quite satisfactory for me. The last thing to fall to it was a deer via a neck shot at 298 yards. Needless to say it was a bang flop.

dugby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was the rifle new when you got it?

Yes

Have you removed the action from the stock ever?

Yes

What scope/base/rings are you using?

Nightforce/Single piece aluminum/ the rings are six screw weavers I believe.

How are you shooting it (from a rest, bipod, kneeling/sitting/standing/prone, etc.)?

Bench with a front rest.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Loosen the action screws and torque them to spec. I'd look into a good steel base and rings for the magnum. Badger, Warne, Near, NF

I like my NF steel rings and 45 MOA Near Mfg base a lot.

Also, make sure the stock isn't contacting the barrel. Maybe a good bedding job would help if there is some issue with the stock.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When you put the stock back together, did you ensure that the action bolts were torqued properly (55inch/Lbs - 65in/Lbs if torquing to bedded stock with after-market bottom-metal)?

Proper torque for base/scope/rings per the various manufacturers:

Base-to-receiver is 15in/Lbs per Badger Ordinance and the rings to base are 65in/Lbs per Badger (keep in mind those are steel rings on a steel base - aluminum is probably closer to 15-25in/Lbs depending on your ring-manufacturer - I'd look that up specifically on your ring-manufacturer's site).

Rings to Scope are 15in/Lbs per U.S. Optics.

If that's all correct, then I'd make sure the stock-to-barrel fit is truly free-floating (that's an HS Precision with aluminum bedding block in it I believe).

If your reloads are consistent, it sounds like you've ruled-out crappy-factory-inconsistent-ammo as a factor.

Edited to add - Dustin beat me to a few of these - I gotta stop trying to snack while I post :D

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My $.02

300wm is not a benchrest round - it's way to powerful: heats the barrel too fast and kicks too much. If you want a benchrest shooter - build one, if you want a long range hunting rifle - forget groups and pay attention to cold barrel POI. Even if it shoots over 2 MOA - it still gives you 300 yard certain kill radius - that's almost 60 acres!

Hearing good things and truly field testing it is quite different. Pay attention to who says and how they say it. As far as "groups" go keep this in mind:
3 shots - statistical insignificance
5 shots - potential accuracy
10 shots+ - a group

Other than that - try different loads (RL22, 4350, H1000 etc) with different bullet weights - it takes time to find rifle's sweet spot unless you get lucky - either way you get more trigger time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom