Remington 5R PSS 300 Win Mag

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dugby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I put some more rounds through it yesterday. Conditions were terrible.

Went back to my same berger 168 gr IMR 4831 load.

Seemed like the rifle just decided to shoot after about 20 rounds through it without cleaning it. It had about 110 rounds through it before this session.
I did not use a brass brush on it this time. Just solvent and patches.

It was routinely dropping 3 or 4 shots in the same hole at 200 but the group would move around. I think that was just conditions.

I think that my problems are resolved and were caused by 3 things that I list in order of what I think was the magnitude.

1. My technique. Harder for me to shoot with more recoil. Had to shoot it a little more to acclimate myself to it.

2. Problems with the front rest. I had a light unit that was fine for a 308 but the 300 win mag was bouncing it all over the place. I added a 15 pound steel disc to the bottom of it and positioned the feet for a better stance.

3. Bottom metal screw torque. Too tight. I had 2 different loads see a group reduction after setting the screws to the right torque. (This was before the mod to the front rest)

Sorry so long.

Thanks for your input.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How often were you cleaning the rifle? If you remove all the fouling it won't shoot as good until it gets to its fouling equilibrium. I don't clean my TRG until the groups open up. 250 rounds hasn't done it yet.

dugby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is interesting. I clean a lot on break in.

Fouling equilibrium makes a lot of sense to me.

The difference is that these rifles don't get the number of rounds that say my 22-250 dog guns get. When we are shooting them we go 50 rounds min soemtimes 100 before we clean them. Like you say just when they start to open up.

For the 300 mag or 308's the get 20 to 40 rounds in a session then I use brass/bronze brush 3 times then 3 wet patches then 2 dry.

I am afraid enough of rust that I don't want to leave the barrel completely dry in storage.

When you say that you don't clean, do you store the rifle for long periods like that? Do you use a brush?

ahamay6

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How many shots have you fired through it. A new barrel should take somewhere between 50 and 100 rounds to break in. If you haven't sent that many down yet, keep shooting and the groups should get smaller. You also may be able to contact Remington and find out what ammunition is recomended. My guess is they will tell you Remington something, but they probably have a round that the gun performed better with when they did their testing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom