Remington 700 short action build--Suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll throw three out for ya. 7X57, 6.5X55, 7.5X55. Any of those will make for a very accurate fairly flat shooter. Mild of recoil, and for most of what you'll be hunting in the lower 48 would make excellent platforms.

I've wanted to build a modern remington on the 7.5x55 swiss round for a long time. I've always loved the way the round shot. I say +1 to the 7.5x55. :naughty:

7mm-08 is a cool round too.

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've owned a 6.5-284 and with the lighter bullets it was fine but you could not eject a loaded round with the heavier bullets without removing the bolt. If I were going to do it again long action is the only way to go with this round.

Do you have a 6.5? Do you not have this problem?
I don't own one, but its on the list of things I'd sell my mother for. I figured the problem would be with the longer, heavier bullets.

sharkbait

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ackley Improved chambering is tempting for a number of reasons. I am certainly keeping that in mind. CB

.260AI is capable of comparable MV's as the 6.5-284 in a shorter OAL with better barrel life and less recoil. Terry Cross of KMW fame has a good writeup on the .260AI over on 6mmbr.com. i am sorely tempted to build a .260AI myself.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At the moment the 7mm-08 AI is in the lead, with a standard 7mm-08 right behind. (Been pricing dies:eek2:).

Whatever I decide, it'll be warm weather before much can happen.

Thanks for all the input. CB

Leadlobber

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not sure how much you will gain by improving a .308 based case ,not much taper in that case.I have read the best bang for the buck is with the 6mm case .

Some day i will build a 6br or .260

Latest posts

Top Bottom