Remington 700 short action build--Suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For Christmas, I am receiving a 700 short action with two bolts:thumbup3:. One bolt is for .223, and the other sounds like it's for .308, etc.

I plan to build this into a rifle:rubhands:, but haven't settled on which cartridge yet. One minute I'm thinking 7mm-08, and the next it's a .22-250. I don't mind wildcat stuff, so as long as it'll function in the short action, it's in the running.

I would like your suggestions for this project. CB

sharkbait

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One minute I'm thinking 7mm-08, and the next it's a .22-250.

The .22-250 has laser beam like trajectory (took my first deer with one) but is more susceptible to wind drift than most of the new 7mm bullets. The 7mm-08 has some really high BC bullets on the market right now and is a more versatile round than the .22-250 and in a pinch with a resizing die you can neck down .308 brass so component availability is better. Even with good shot placement I would not recommend using a .22-250 for larger game like elk (I'm sure you can find someone on the interweb that has done it) but there are many hunters that have used the 7mm-08 to take elk.

I guess you just need to decide what use you want it for (paper punching or hunting or both) and do your homework on the strengths and weaknesses of both and decide which works best for what you want to do. And as always solicit the advice of internet experts/long range ninjas like me.

Repeat after me "but I heard it on the internet":punch:

Jeff3C

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Only way this would be possible if it was a single shot. The 6.5x284 will not function as a SA repeater. It is an excellent round though. Components are pricey and short barrel life are the downfalls.

If it was me I would go .260 or .243 ackley but a plain old .308 is always a great choice as well. What do you plan on using it for?

Do some research on the .260. I think it will become very popular in the next couple years.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a huge fanboy of the .308 - but that being said, if you're looking for something away from the same-old, I'd look at some of the 7mm cartridges and focus on the .30 cal bolt instead of the .22 bolt. There are some pretty cool Short Magnum cartridges that fit in a short action aren't there?

I think I'm starting to take Thorgrim's posts to heart :D He's going to have me hooking up my Remington with a 7mm cartridge of some sort when I eventually drink the kool-aid. :thumb:

Jeff3C

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why do you say that?

I've owned a 6.5-284 and with the lighter bullets it was fine but you could not eject a loaded round with the heavier bullets without removing the bolt. If I were going to do it again long action is the only way to go with this round.

Do you have a 6.5? Do you not have this problem?

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'll throw three out for ya. 7X57, 6.5X55, 7.5X55. Any of those will make for a very accurate fairly flat shooter. Mild of recoil, and for most of what you'll be hunting in the lower 48 would make excellent platforms.

Latest posts

Top Bottom