resetting sling stud

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not a wood-working guy, but I've heard the best way to fill a hole is with a mixture of wood glue and sawdust from the same piece of wood so it matches. You should able to get some shavings/sawdust under the butt-plate (drill some tiny holes) if you want to try this.

But I'd wait for some of the wood-working guys to chime in first.
:drunk2:

This can work. But can also not work. It is more of an art than anything.

I'd do what SPDguns suggested.

A dowel that just fits the hole is the easiest fix. I have done this many, many, times for repairing stripped screw holes in wood and just used wood glue. Never had one fail me yet.
Even if the stud is going back in the same place (or close to it) it would hold just fine.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, and here's a trick if you want to keep from tearing out the wood when you drill the new hole.

Use a large nail and tap the point in at the center of where you want the new hole to create a divot. (This helps keeps the drill bit centered.) Then when you start to drill, run the drill in reverse just a little to "wear" out the top of the hole (Like 1/32 to 1/16 on an inch deep.) just enough to break through the surface of the wood. Then put it back on forward and drill your hole. This should help to prevent chip out.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This can work. But can also not work. It is more of an art than anything.

I'd do what SPDguns suggested.

A dowel that just fits the hole is the easiest fix. I have done this many, many, times for repairing stripped screw holes in wood and just used wood glue. Never had one fail me yet.
Even if the stud is going back in the same place (or close to it) it would hold just fine.

Oh and just make sure the glue is good and dry before you drill it out again. Letting it set for 48 hrs (for wood glue) should be enough.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have also had drills grab the wood and dig themselves in faster than I wanted causing tearout and chipping so be ready to use a reverse pulling effort to keep it from doing that.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have also had drills grab the wood and dig themselves in faster than I wanted causing tearout and chipping so be ready to use a reverse pulling effort to keep it from doing that.

The duller the drill bit, the more likely this is to happen. Dull bit will dig in while a sharp bit shaves the wood.

(To a certain point of course. Get the bit dull enough and it will just burn it's way through.... lol. )

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, and here's a trick if you want to keep from tearing out the wood when you drill the new hole.

Use a large nail and tap the point in at the center of where you want the new hole to create a divot. (This helps keeps the drill bit centered.) Then when you start to drill, run the drill in reverse just a little to "wear" out the top of the hole (Like 1/32 to 1/16 on an inch deep.) just enough to break through the surface of the wood. Then put it back on forward and drill your hole. This should help to prevent chip out.
Or use a forstner bit

Latest posts

Top Bottom