Residential fire sprinkler systems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renegadethreads

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ECARO clean-agent gas fire suppression system would be my recommendation over sprinklers. While it may not be cheap upfront, the savings in water damage should easily make up the difference.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im at work so cant respond to everything but that site that states new construction would burn faster is just absurd. Modern building codes are much more stringent, and the fireblocking we put in now and materials we use is specifically designed to prevent the spread of fires. New home vs 40 yr old home, the new one wins: frame fireblocks, insulation wont burn, firerated drywall, and maybe doors depending on location, more likely to have comp vs wood shingles, etc.

It's from the UL, and I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing. You should read the whitepaper.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
what would the cost difference be?

From what I read on google, the cost would be substantial. Designed for commercial business. Applications. Once the system is activated, it dumps the entire system. A residential system activates one head and can be shut down from the outside. Then only that one head is replaced.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Found this information on a cost-benefit analysis of residential sprinklers:

"In Scottsdale, 49 fires were reported in single-family homes that were equipped with sprinklers in the 15 years after legislation was implemented. In addition, over an eight-year period in Prince George's County, there were 117 fire incidents in households that resulted in sprinkler activation. In both jurisdictions, no fire deaths were experienced in homes protected with automatic sprinklers.
[...]
Moreover, in Scottsdale, it was estimated that fires in homes protected with sprinklers had an average property loss equal to $2,166. In residences without sprinkler protection, the average property loss was equal to $45,019.3 Similarly in Prince George's County, when compared to a random sample of structural fires that occurred in unsprinklered single-family homes over a two-year period before the sprinkler ordinance was adopted, the average estimated property loss was $31,667. Conversely, the estimated fire loss was $3,673 for sprinklered homes after the sprinkler ordinance was adopted."

Now I think this was from a pro-fire sprinkler site, so I am curious what the other side of the aisle is on this? What are they missing here?

The huge difference in these numbers makes me think that they are insurance numbers. My guess is that the insured did not have flood damage insurance so the insurance company didn't pay anything damaged by the water. I'm not sure you can remodel a bathroom for $2,100 much less any other room in a house with fire, smoke, and water damage.

I'm with some of the others... keep smoke detectors up to date and working along with training the family on what to do.

bigbang

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's from the UL, and I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing. You should read the whitepaper.

Wrong, if it's on the internet it's true theory.
I'm a electrical contractor and every 3 years the national electrical code is updated. We now use methods like ground fault recepticals which have been upgraded in the last few years to work much better. Also arc-fault breakers have been recently required that HIGHLY reduce the chance of electrical fires. 40 years ago there were no such devices. Building materials are also better in fire reduction these days for sure.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lol at the dismissal of the UL as internet hokum. Read the white paper guys!

The huge difference in these numbers makes me think that they are insurance numbers. My guess is that the insured did not have flood damage insurance so the insurance company didn't pay anything damaged by the water. I'm not sure you can remodel a bathroom for $2,100 much less any other room in a house with fire, smoke, and water damage.

I'm with some of the others... keep smoke detectors up to date and working along with training the family on what to do.

Regular old homeowners insurance would pay for sprinkler damage. Just not rising water or groundwater.

Electrician Mike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have zero experience with residential sprinklers other than seeing them in a few houses. I know of one in particular last summer in a neighborhood at 81st and Hwy 75 in Tulsa that the homeowner was not happy about having it in her house. We didnt even know the system was there until we noticed the piping in the attic for it, which was all the new PEX piping. We asked all about it, and IIRC, she told us that her HO insurance was more because of it. Also probably had something to do with the fact that the for some reason firetrucks had limited access to her neighborhood which initiated the requirement for all houses within to have the sprinklers installed. Its been a year ago so those memories are fuzzy.
One thing I have wondered since then is that I know that commercial fire systems have to be tested every 6 months and monitored by a central station. Would this also be required of a residential system? If so, that would add a decent monthly expense to each system.

Keelty

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Question. If you have a fire in your house and the fire dept comes out don't you get water damage? I am just wondering why people think the sprinkler system would add any more water damage than the fire dept?

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Question. If you have a fire in your house and the fire dept comes out don't you get water damage? I am just wondering why people think the sprinkler system would add any more water damage than the fire dept?

Generally firemen are more accurate with water application and then stop when fire is extinguished. The sprinkler will flow water until it is turned off manually.

Latest posts

Top Bottom