Residential fire sprinkler systems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

53convert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Question. If you have a fire in your house and the fire dept comes out don't you get water damage? I am just wondering why people think the sprinkler system would add any more water damage than the fire dept?
Good question and point of fact for consideration here in Oklahoma............pipes freeze and break all the time here.
A water sprinkler system is over head which means the pipes must bein the ceiling.
Some type of fire suppression especially in more rural areas should be a plus.

My house out in the woods, I have placed a combination soaker, sprinkler house along the roof peak. Fire gets close I can just plugit in and water the roof........only down side is loosing electicy

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wrong, if it's on the internet it's true theory.
I'm a electrical contractor and every 3 years the national electrical code is updated. We now use methods like ground fault recepticals which have been upgraded in the last few years to work much better. Also arc-fault breakers have been recently required that HIGHLY reduce the chance of electrical fires. 40 years ago there were no such devices. Building materials are also better in fire reduction these days for sure.

And still wrong ....read the date on the white paper.

UL IS the building standards, the things you mentioned are included in the testing.

Ground fault protects agains accidental electrocution.

Arc fault is for fire protection, but Only the starting of the fire, after the fire is going these offer NO protection

( other than having utilities turned off ( elec and gas )

There are rheems of books on these Listings ...UL ,NFPA, ASTME ,residential and commercial, plumbing , electrical, mechanical Codes

What Code cycle are you working under and what addendums/city codes are in force in your area?

The white paper, You should read it

Sent from my shoe phone from my secret Code Enforcement Office

(Dont blame us were just enforceing the Code's )

Bootleggn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
what would the cost difference be?

The cost difference is SUBSTANTIAL.

Watch this video!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=182814505064335

My apologies on the delayed response; I do not login here much anymore. If anyone needs to get ahold of me for any fire protection related equipment/systems, please feel free to contact me(Justen Ridge) at (405) 520-1232 or via email at [email protected]. FireCo/APSFire deals in the inspection, test & maintenance, as well as new installations of exit/emergency lighting, portable fire extinguishers, kitchen fire suppression systems, industrial/paint spray booth fire suppression systems, vehicle fire suppression systems(race cars, transportation and heavy equipment), fire alarm and gas detection systems, fire sprinkler systems and special hazard suppression systems of ALL types. Please feel free to visit our facebook page to see examples of our work.

https://www.facebook.com/FireCo.Oklahoma?ref=hl

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
U/L is not "internet legend"...

Here's a closer to home analysis. New construction appears to lead to "decreased failure time" of key components of construction.

http://www.edmondsun.com/local/x1836131990/Edmond-fire-officials-examine-home-fire-dynamics

Seems that, while individual segments of code have improved, the cumulative effect is getting worse once a fire starts. Flashover in 5 minutes vs. 30 and structure collapse in something like 10 minutes! Holy cow.

Last edited:

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What, read the whitepaper? You out of your mind?

It occurs to me that maybe 10Seconds account is a novelty account. 10Seconds is a reference to how long he will spend reading the thread before posting a reply.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good question and point of fact for consideration here in Oklahoma............pipes freeze and break all the time here.
A water sprinkler system is over head which means the pipes must bein the ceiling.
Some type of fire suppression especially in more rural areas should be a plus.

From what I've seen the pipes aren't usually charged with water all of the time. It looks like there's a sensor which, when triggered, charges the system with water, and then the heads will break in the zones that get hot enough to pop them. You have to drain it later.

I'm sure there are some systems that have pressure in those lines 24/7 but I bet that's an old design.

Bootleggn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what I've seen the pipes aren't usually charged with water all of the time. It looks like there's a sensor which, when triggered, charges the system with water, and then the heads will break in the zones that get hot enough to pop them. You have to drain it later.

I'm sure there are some systems that have pressure in those lines 24/7 but I bet that's an old design.

Dry pipe systems are not common in residential applications. Most residential fire sprinkler systems are of the wet pipe style and are in fact under pressure, all the time. The water supply is a big determining factor too. Being a 1-story is a plus, allowing access to the attic. The pipe would probably need to be "tented", to protect against freezing, unless you went with a soffit system, which would hide the pipe in the corners where crown molding would be. “Tenting” is where once the pipe is installed and tested, you remove the insulation that is underneath the new piping, place a 3 to 4 foot wide plastic “visqueen” strip over the pipe and insulate over the top of the plastic. This allows the ambient heat from the occupied spaces below to be trapped in the space where the pipe is installed.

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know mine work.... went to reheat a piece of pie for 15 seconds... my dumbass set the microwave to 15 minutes.... cannot get the smell out as of yet

Latest posts

Top Bottom