Reunite Class ring with owner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You going to just give them the rings and eat the purchase price?
Yeah, looks like I probably will. I also came to the same conclusions about how she lost them. After speaking with her I know there is no way she could offer to reimburse my investment.

Ok, So it sounds like she's broke and couldn't keep up with storage fees. Hence, the storage was sold.

Honest question for OSA:
This is not about getting 'cash / value' from her, but rather the psychology. People will obviously take things of value when it's free to them. ...But they may not "value" it afterwards.

- On one hand the rings are sentimental to her. So maybe she won't make the same mistake - or pawn it off.
- On the other hand, people tend to value things more when it costs them something.

She's broke and probably can't buy it back outright - but should @SNAKE PLISSKEN require some trade of value? Even if it's nothing that he actually wants?
Ask what she can trade for approximate value (and it won't be) - but you can make it a serious point for her.

This is not about the money, but rather the psychology. Make it cost something so it's serious.
Or, just hand over the rings and goodwill is it's own reward.
What's OSA thoughts?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Ok, So it sounds like she's broke and couldn't keep up with storage fees. Hence, the storage was sold.

Honest question for OSA:
This is not about getting 'cash / value' from her, but rather the psychology. People will obviously take things of value when it's free to them. ...But they may not "value" it afterwards.

- On one hand the rings are sentimental to her. So maybe she won't make the same mistake - or pawn it off.
- On the other hand, people tend to value things more when it costs them something.

She's broke and probably can't buy it back outright - but should @SNAKE PLISSKEN require some trade of value? Even if it's nothing that he actually wants?
Ask what she can trade for approximate value (and it won't be) - but you can make it a serious point for her.

This is not about the money, but rather the psychology. Make it cost something so it's serious.
What's OSA thoughts?
"She's broke and probably can't buy it back outright - but should @SNAKE PLISSKEN require some trade of value? Even if it's nothing that he actually wants?
Ask what she can trade for approximate value (and it won't be) - but you can make it a serious point for her."

Hell no. Sometimes folks just do nice things for others. This is no different than buying someone's meal at a restaurant, filling up someone's gas tank, or even pulling a bunch of angels off of the Angel tree at Christmas and buying Christmas gifts for folks.

Whether or not they value his kindness afterwards is up them, not him. If it was about the money or value, he would have already melted them down.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Honest question for OSA:

What's OSA thoughts?
Consider this part of your tithe and doing a good dead. God knows what is in your heart and if she sells them, it is on her and nothing for you to worry about.

You may also have helped her emotionally during a tough time in her life. You will never know but the Lord will know what you did for your fellow man (as in mankind, I don't want to get into another pronoun discussion).

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Honest question for OSA:

What's OSA thoughts?
I get what you’re saying and don’t disagree, but at this point, I think it would be a chickenchit move to ask for something in trade.

Being self employed and getting screwed over by customers for 25 years has jaded me, and I pretty much assume all people are @ssholes until they prove otherwise. I figure these rings will be in a pawn shop by the end of next week, but that’s on her. @SNAKE PLISSKEN is a stand up guy for doing what he’s done to find the rings owner.

SNAKE PLISSKEN

"The name is Plissken"
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll be honest, the first thought that crossed my mind when I saw the names inscribed on the rings was maybe I could sell them back to the owner for more than melt value. After I did my initial search, I realized that probably wasn't an option. Then my feelings and conscience kicked in and decided to try to locate her anyway. I too am a victim of a lost class ring and would give anything to get it back. I lost my ring surfing at Waikiki Beach back in the 80s. That was over 30 yrs ago. I'm sure it has washed up on the beach and been found by someone with a metal detector. Anyways, I decided I would eat the cost of the rings and maybe bring joy to someone in need. Thanks to all who has supported and contributed to this endeavor!!!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll be honest, the first thought that crossed my mind when I saw the names inscribed on the rings was maybe I could sell them back to the owner for more than melt value. After I did my initial search, I realized that probably wasn't an option. Then my feelings and conscience kicked in and decided to try to locate her anyway. I too am a victim of a lost class ring and would give anything to get it back. I lost my ring surfing at Waikiki Beach back in the 80s. That was over 30 yrs ago. I'm sure it has washed up on the beach and been found by someone with a metal detector. Anyways, I decided I would eat the cost of the rings and maybe bring joy to someone in need. Thanks to all who has supported and contributed to this endeavor!!!
Good man here!
It's the right thing to do.

Latest posts

Top Bottom