Review: Wilshire Gun Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For those people who walk with a cane or are bound to a wheelchair, from what I can see you will have access to the store, the parking spots are right in front where they belong and there is a lift available but it looks like an employee will be required to operate it so bring a friend to go inside or have the number and a cell phone ready if you can't make it up the stairs as no ramp is available. I did not notice much else beyond that and did not use the range to be aware of anything there. There is a flight of stairs inside that goes up and did not notice if there was access via another elevator and did not see a lift. I know that this info doesn't matter to most people but when you have lived with someone who can not walk you tend to look and there are some who will need to know.
Now that someone else mentioned it, I'll comment on this part too. I didn't want to be the first to say it since I'm not in a wheelchair. When I parked and got out of my truck, I couldn't tell where the front door was. I parked on the west side of the parking lot and saw the sliding door up the stairs first. But I thought this was some kind of back entrance and the doors to the east about 50 yards were possibly the front doors. I also specifically looked for a wheelchair ramp and when I didn't see one by the sliding door, it also made me think that wasn't the front door. I recently broke my leg and am still having a lot of problems with it. I'm having to wear a huge knee brace and was looking to avoid stairs. I didn't even notice the lift.

It was only when I saw someone exit the door and come down the stairs did I ask the guy "is that the entrance?" It was difficult getting up and worse coming down. Now my problem is hopefully temporary, but I couldn't help to think how much it would suck if an old guy had bad knees. And I figured I was just missing a wheelchair ramp somewhere, like maybe there was another entrance.

A nice awning over the sliding door with the company name would help with the appearance of the front door. Or is the far east door an option also? I didn't notice where the east door would connect to the area where I was in.

100 yds

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hear a lot of discussion regrading range fees. Please refer to the website for memberships which include free range fees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

english kanigit

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alright, so I stopped in at Wilshire yesterday to check the place out. I also needed to get a rough zero on a new rear iron sight for my SBR as well as function check/zero two new Glock 19s that I put together.

First thing in the door: wristbands. Annoying but I can see the need to find any bugs in the system initially. One of the first people that ended up speaking to me after I was inside was one of the proprietors. He was a real pleasure to talk with as we spoke a bit about the range, the business and how things were going. I stopped in to see Steve Hazelwood. He seems ridiculously happy in his new spot and it's great to see that he has some room now.

The range counter was unable to actually scan my license to populate the information in their system. I don't know if this is due to my license being from out of state or it's poor condition. I had forgotten that they actually needed to do this as a part of their access control scheme for the range in regards to also serving alcohol in the facility. It was a bit annoying talking with the fellow at the counter about it but not being told the why aspect for scanning my DL. I've been to a lot of ranges in various states and typically the only time I have to relinquish a license is when I'm renting a gun. I don't like the possibility of forgetting that card and leaving it behind. I used the 35yd range for both my pistol work and the bit of rifle I was doing. Total charge was $16 and change as I had my own eyes, ears, ammo and targets. I might suggest that they run a 'tab' system at the range counter or have the option to do so as that really makes it easy for folks to add more targets, get more ammo and buy more product as they run out of what they brought. This works especially well with groups of shooters.

Points of note:
While I had tinted eye-pro I forgot to pack my clears. The range area is well lit but the down range could be a bit better. I was having trouble getting a solid sight picture with black sights on a black target. The range counter hooked me up with a set of clears.
I brought a sheaf B-8 repair center targets and I'm glad that I did. These are my preferred target for doing basic accuracy work and drills with pistols and carbines from zero to 100yds. They had the usual selection of targets for this area like big silhouettes, the double orange 'basket ball' bullseye targets and some others but nothing simple and small like what I was after. The range staff set me up with an extra set of clippies and an extra target hanger to get these targets to the proper height on the range.
While I was there a couple of younger fellows took the stall next to me and were playing with what seemed to be a 9mm AR of some nature with a slidefire stock. They were safe, having fun and it was amusing to listen to them. One of the range staff came out to the line with them to make sure they were set up ok and I assume to observe them for safety.
The range dearly needs rifle racks, either along the back wall or possibly in the stalls.
The automated carrier system is quite nice but needs either a quick start guide or some pre-programmed options for common distances. Quick references for distance on the range itself for distance like lines on the floor might be handy as well.

I got in, got accomplished what I needed to do and left with a minimum of hassle. Employees checked on me while I was perusing the place but they didn't hassle me; they're doing their job and were polite. I also ended up getting a hot pink 'Femme Fatal' Troy AR magazine for $12 and change. It's going to get sent to my ex-GF as a crank gift because she haaaaaaates pink. I liked the layout of the place with lots of wide open space but I do look forward to seeing them add more stock in the form of accessories, cleaning gear, optics, tools, etc. Figuring out how much to put out of each thing vs what sells can be a challenge and it varies a bit from place to place.

I strongly prefer to shoot out of doors but I see myself going there periodically to look at their wares, shoot the breeze and possibly function-check or zero something when the OKC Gun Club is covered up for weeks at a time by the cowboy action 'tards taking over the place. It's extremely easy to get to both as far as driving and finding parking. I look forward to seeing how the business matures over the next couple of years as it is a very unique place and I wish them the best. I will be going back.

Ek

kickface

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey ek that was me and my buddy shooting the slide fire on the 9mm ar carbine. I thought id check this place out and try my new toy being the only range in town that allows slide fires. The guy that popped in was just checking that we weren't spraying lead wildly as he told us he would do just to be safe.

Overall I really like the range $15 per hour is a little high. I think $15 for the day on slow days and $15 per hour when the bay is full and there is a waiting time would be more fair. But over all I really liked the set up and everyone who worked there was really friendly. Being so close to my house, much closer than h&h, I do plan to go back. I don't think ill ever use the 100 yard range because its a little to pricey for me but hey some people will.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went tonight for the first time. The gun selection seemed lackluster and the retail section seems small and crowded. The selection of accessories seemed okay. Glad to see lots of nightforce scopes though. The ranges are nice I got in trouble for not informing them upon checking in that I intended to shoot prone. Once the rso moved me to the proper bay and watched me shoot a few all was good. I'll know next time to tell them I want to shoot prone. Disappointed with the cost a bit though. 30.35 for less than an hour is damn high to me. (I only had 45 mins) by the time I got checked in before they closed. Will defiantly shoot there agin though.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I strongly prefer to shoot out of doors but I see myself going there periodically to look at their wares, shoot the breeze and possibly function-check or zero something when the OKC Gun Club is covered up for weeks at a time by the cowboy action 'tards taking over the place.
Ek

Why do you say this? I'm not a cowboy action shooter, and not a member of the OKC gun club, but I do shoot there twice a week at matches.
The gun club has built new ranges to the north of the cowboy facility for USPSA shooting, and whatever if a match isn't going on.

How long has it been since you have been there?

Latest posts

Top Bottom