Review: Wilshire Gun Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why do you say this? I'm not a cowboy action shooter, and not a member of the OKC gun club, but I do shoot there twice a week at matches.
The gun club has built new ranges to the north of the cowboy facility for USPSA shooting, and whatever if a match isn't going on.

How long has it been since you have been there?

He says that because the cowboys take possession of the entire action side of the range and close it for about two weeks to have their annual shindig every year. Now that they've built those extra "IPSC" bays and the new clubhouse I'm not sure whether that will continue or not, but I'm betting that they'll eventually try to horn in on that too.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Now that someone else mentioned it, I'll comment on this part too. I didn't want to be the first to say it since I'm not in a wheelchair. When I parked and got out of my truck, I couldn't tell where the front door was. I parked on the west side of the parking lot and saw the sliding door up the stairs first. But I thought this was some kind of back entrance and the doors to the east about 50 yards were possibly the front doors. I also specifically looked for a wheelchair ramp and when I didn't see one by the sliding door, it also made me think that wasn't the front door.

I told them the exact same thing, they are aware of this

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
those cowboys, all 20 of them, did, and still do, more in the way of basic range maintenance than all the ipsc, 3gun, steel challenge, and icore shooting members combined. I will open the gates for them and bow as they take over the whole of the action pistol range for the 2-3 weeks a year; gladly.

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went to see what all the excitement was all about today. I also had a couple of firearms that I was going to compare pricing before buying. One of them was the Mossberg Blackwater 500 or similar model. Imagine my surprise when I was told they hadn't ordered any Mossberg stock. After that I thought I would look at handguns. They had a decent selection on each table for comparison and the pick up and hold aspect is a good idea. I'm just not sure I want to buy the hand gun that a lot of people have played with. They stayed with the old standbys and I didn't see any high end firearms. So I went to look at magazines. I was hoping they would have CZ mags. No such luck, Just the standard M&P, Sig and Glock. Maybe a couple other brands.
I'm not going to be much nicer than that. I went to Big Boys Guns last weekend for their opening and it was a hell of lot better. I was given a tour of the ranges and there never was a time where a sales person wasn't available to answer my questions. I was very impressed with Big Boys firearm selection. I didn't use Wilshire's range but I did shoot at Big Boys and even though they don't have the long ranges, the do have air conditioning and the digital readout for your target distance. And the range prices are way better. Since both Wilshire and Big Boys are about the same distance from where I live, Big Boys will get my business.

I agree, Big Boys gun range is pretty awesome. A/C and only $15 to shoot all day for pistol or rifle.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
those cowboys, all 20 of them, did, and still do, more in the way of basic range maintenance than all the ipsc, 3gun, steel challenge, and icore shooting members combined. I will open the gates for them and bow as they take over the whole of the action pistol range for the 2-3 weeks a year; gladly.

This. They were there waaaay before the ipsc guys. Name calling does no one any good. House divided thing.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Not a member but I agree fully. Whats a couple weeks out of a year? Not to mention that if they only take over the action area there should be a pretty good sized section elsewhere to still shoot.

english kanigit

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why do you say this? I'm not a cowboy action shooter, and not a member of the OKC gun club, but I do shoot there twice a week at matches.
The gun club has built new ranges to the north of the cowboy facility for USPSA shooting, and whatever if a match isn't going on.

How long has it been since you have been there?

I say this due to my own interactions with them. As a new member I found myself up at the club during on one of their matches. While observing I was asking questions about how things were run and put together. The people I managed to catch were curt and dismissive. Must've been a bad day or maybe they didn't like talking to folks 'not in character'. What annoyed the devil out of me is having people waving, yelling and gesticulating angrily for driving on the upper road during the weekends. Apparently they don't like this but now they have signs and barriers to put out. Before they didn't and they're the only group I'm familiar with who does that.

If you have issues with what I said please take it up with me privately or in person so as to not further derail this thread.

Your point is taken and your words respected. They've surely been here longer than I have too. I will reconsider my view on this matter.

Ek

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's the closest range to me but I think I'd rather drive to crystal lake than pay 20/hour for the archery range fee. Only time I shoot firearms in the city is with my brother and that isn't very often...usually done at h&h.

Transmitted via Tactical Telecommunications Device

Latest posts

Top Bottom