Ride Report: CA to OKC in 48hrs on a BMW

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nanotech9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
(yeah, second post in a row)

OMG the BREAKS on this bike... holy crap. I didn't push the bike much on my trip from CA since i was riding solo... but out in AR... WOW. I realized part of the benefit in the no-dive front suspension is that you can apply a good amount of front brakes w/o standing the bike up... she just keeps railing the corner. Awesome. Between that and the ABS in the rain.... OMG.

BTW, nice pics of the coast!

whats the little metal box in the back? I've got a little bag that hides back there but that looks pretty cool.

smokeyokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
(yeah, second post in a row)

OMG the BREAKS on this bike... holy crap. I didn't push the bike much on my trip from CA since i was riding solo... but out in AR... WOW. I realized part of the benefit in the no-dive front suspension is that you can apply a good amount of front brakes w/o standing the bike up... she just keeps railing the corner. Awesome. Between that and the ABS in the rain.... OMG.

BTW, nice pics of the coast!

whats the little metal box in the back? I've got a little bag that hides back there but that looks pretty cool.

Yea the braking is one of its best features. Some GS riders dont care for the servo linked brakes but I like em. Helpful hint on the brakes is just use one finger.

The metal box on the back is called a Das Trunk a guy by the name of John Atnip makes them and powder coats them. They are a lockable storage when you dont want to have the panniers on. Nice place to keep a pistol and mag if you are unable to carry one on you and much better than the under seat storage. I know you mentioned ADVrider but another good resource is
www.r1200gs.info they have a forum there that is pretty good. Have fun riding that beast I may go to Arkansas this weekend for the Blues & BBQ festival in Fayetteville.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
WOW. That was awsome. Just awsome. Im a rider and that looked just fantastic. Been thinking of doing some long distance touring myself. Thanks!

Istandalone

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your story. Very nice that you were able to fly out and find that the bike was ready for the road. Really appreciate those kind of folks and I am sure you did your homework before flying out.

What do you think that ride would be like on a BMW F650 GS?
Trying to talk the wife into a first bike for commuting.

Nanotech9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the 650 would do it just as easily i imagine... just maybe a little less top speed? otherwise probably just as comfortable.

i've never ridden one though so my knowledge on the 650 is limited.

Latest posts

Top Bottom