Rifle Scopes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RezRunner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok guys I found a Barska 3-9X40 for 30 dollars total. Is that a good deal?? Are Barska any good? I have a couple .22's I'm wanting to put scopes on.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't own another Barska. If its just a duplex reticule, then go get a Wal-Mart Nikon, or Bushnell and it will serve you better.

If you want a tacti-cool scope, then you'll have to spend more money to get something that will actually work.

Hooker

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Just go ahead and flush the $30 down the toilet instead.

Hmm sound like experience.;)

A friend of mine has a Barska mounted on a 22 250 Handi Rifle it works fine.
Will it hold up over the long haul? Who knows?
Will it last as long as a one of the high dollar status symbol scopes? Time will tell.
For the average shooter the bargain basement scopes will most likely do everything they need to do.
Are there better scopes to be had? Depends. If the cheap scope last a good while and does the job you needed done, then money spent on a status symbol would have been money flushed down the toilet.
I have a cheap Bushnell one of my rifles it is about 18 years old it still gets the job done. Even if it failed tomorrow it would still be money well spent.

Pat

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the average shooter the bargain basement scopes will most likely do everything they need to do.

This is not true if the average shooter wants things like - holding zero, maintaining paralax/focus without shifting, proper adjustment, etc...

The only Barska scopes I've ever seen were marketed as either having a fancy hunting Bullet-drop-compensator, or being "tactical". If you want a normal scope, get a cheapo that's known to be a good scope (for around the same money).

If you want a tactical scope with things like target turrets, Mil-dot reticule, high-magnification, you're going to have to spend more than $30 for anything other than cool looks - period.

Scopes can be had with a few goodies for less-than $300 that will work for the weekend range-warrior (I've got two of them) but if you don't need the tacti-cool goodies, don't try and get them for the same price as a decent scope that doesn't have any of the goodies (like a Bushnell or Nikon).

THE JOKER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I prefer a scope that holds zero,you can see through and the windage and elevation dials are actually 1/4" per click,so that's why I use the "status symbol" scopes