Rifle Scopes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

300WSM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting. I bought a 3-9 x 50 BSA at the gun show for 40 bucks, are these any good? I put it on a 7mm Rem Mag. I shot it a few times, i like it. I have a Nikon Prostaff 3-9 x 40 on
my 300wsm. It was around 140. It has the bdc reticle. I guess it is my status symbol scope. haha. I also have a couple NcStar scopes and in my opinion they are pretty good too. They can be bought on amazon fairly cheap, under 60 bucks. I got a 3-9 by 40 with mil dot and an illuminated reticle for 45 i think.

iriediver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
just bought my first real "status" scope. picked up a leuapold LRT 4.5-14X50 for my rem 700 tac. shot it the other day.....sweet. i have nikons on the rest of my stuff and an acog. get what you pay for. but like others have said, if it lasts more than a minute and hoolds zero then money well spent.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting. I bought a 3-9 x 50 BSA at the gun show for 40 bucks, are these any good? I put it on a 7mm Rem Mag. I shot it a few times, i like it. I have a Nikon Prostaff 3-9 x 40 on
my 300wsm. It was around 140. It has the bdc reticle. I guess it is my status symbol scope. haha. I also have a couple NcStar scopes and in my opinion they are pretty good too. They can be bought on amazon fairly cheap, under 60 bucks. I got a 3-9 by 40 with mil dot and an illuminated reticle for 45 i think.

I'm not a big fan of NcStar either - I've had 3 of their elecrtonic (illuminated and red-dot) die on me - not to mention that most of their mechanics is made to very low standards - adjustments are a wild-guess at best, and they don't hold zero long-term.

BSA is supposedly stepping up their quality, but I've yet to own one of their more pricey scopes (if I were BSA, I'd hold off on the price-increase and justify myself with quality first). I've had one BSA go out on me where the elevation knob stopped working.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I've pretty much decided that anything worth putting a scope on is worth putting a decent scope on. Not necessarily a $500-$1000+ scope on your basic target 10/22, but worth putting something more than the $30 Wally World special. Both of my .22s wear $30 something scopes, and both of them that is the limiting factor on consistent shooting, unless I'm clearing jams. And like I said, you don't have to go and spend hundreds and hundreds. I picked up a 7-21x40 Bushnell Scopechief which is turning out to be a pretty decent scope, for $70 in the classifieds. A $30 el-cheapo scope is selling yourself and your rifle short.

kansas45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think Barska makes the best scopes, but the two I have work well. My 3-12x50 IR has been a good scope, right now it's mounted on a 20" AR15. The other one, a 10-40x50 IR Tactical is on my Tikka T3 Varmint & I have no plans of replacing it. I have shot this scope to 800 yds on my .308. Both scopes hold zero, but the glass isn't anything to write home about. Clear, but could be better. As far as a scope for a .22 rifle, I like the Center Point 4-16x40 from Wal Mart for around $70.00. Some of us cheap SOB's have to use less expensive equipment. It's in our blood? :anyone:

kansas45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Tikka is a good rifle and deserves better. :nono2:

Yes they are Thorgrim, & I do agree for the most part. I only talk about what I know. These two Barska scopes have been good to me. I did have one that I got rid of after the first time it went to the range. These scopes are probably like a lot of other things...........sometimes you get a good one & sometimes you get a load of crap. :blah::blah::blah:

Donald

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For a 22 rimfire I would not spend more than about $75 for a scope. Unless it was a competition rifle. Then I would put a competition Leupold or March on it. But a 10/22 ain't a competition rifle. Recoil is the main thing that causes a scope to not hold POI. There are lots of decent scopes out there for not much money cause a 10/22 don't have any recoil. Just go take a look thru a bunch and pick out the one that seems to have the best glass. And be sure the eyepiece is focused for your eye.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've pretty much decided that anything worth putting a scope on is worth putting a decent scope on. Not necessarily a $500-$1000+ scope on your basic target 10/22, but worth putting something more than the $30 Wally World special. Both of my .22s wear $30 something scopes, and both of them that is the limiting factor on consistent shooting, unless I'm clearing jams. And like I said, you don't have to go and spend hundreds and hundreds. I picked up a 7-21x40 Bushnell Scopechief which is turning out to be a pretty decent scope, for $70 in the classifieds. A $30 el-cheapo scope is selling yourself and your rifle short.
Hey Nikat,

About the time you were born or maybe a little before, the Scopechief was the top of the Bushnell line and they cost considerably more than $70. They were actually very good scopes back then, on par with the Leupolds.

BSA just sucks. I have their bore sighter and while it does work somewhat, the glass is actually mounted off level. It will get you on paper but just barely. My buddies Bushnell is vastly superior. My BSA reflex sight on my Buckmark refuses to hold zero.

Haven't used a Barska but I'm just very skeptical of cheap glass after dealing with BSA. The only decent scopes I've seen out of China was Millet and their glass comes from Japan so that kind of explains why they are somewhat decent. Actually the Millet was a pretty good scope for the money.

But if it were me I'd get a Wal-Mart Nikon or Bushnell.