Rimfire matches

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark edgreen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i257_shooter65_IMG_0171.jpg

ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i257_shooter65_22lrshooting064.jpg

ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i257_shooter65_IMG_0167.jpg

ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i257_shooter65_IMG_0165.jpg

ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i257_shooter65_IMG_0168_1.jpg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is this Palmdale too? I've got family in the inland empire that's always looking for good ranges to shoot.

mark edgreen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now that looks like a fun match! Love the use of field positions! Mind sharing your courses of fire?

APS – Tactical / Precision Rimfire Match – AAR – 10/02/10

On October 2, 2010 we held our monthly 22LR Tac/Prec Match at A Place to Shoot. We started around 12:30 and finished around 3:30 p.m. Shooters were allowed an open range before hand to zero. The weather was a little weird, at least for SoCal – warm with high humidity and even a little thunder, lightning and showers. Throughout the day I kept thinking I had awoken in my home state of S.C. as today was a typical S.C. summer day. After 23 years out here I’d almost forgotten what the term muggy meant or felt like, that is until today.

Trophies were awarded to the top three competitors as follows: First Place – Brian Rodela; Second Place – Burke Johnson; Third Place – Alan Campbell.

The following is a breakdown of the courses of fire:

*The competitors did not zero their weapons as part of the match. However, prior to the match targets had been set up for them at yardages 50, 75, and 100 yards for all to check zeroes.

** All stages were 1 minute unless otherwise noted.

Stage I – 35 YARD ½” Dot Precision

In this course of fire the competitors engaged 20 ½” dots from the prone position. Each dot was worth 5 points and the shooters were given a time of 2 minutes.

Stage II – Barricade

In this course of fire the competitors engaged five 2” dots from an improvised supported standing position shooting over the top of a barricade. Each dot was worth 20 points.

Stage III – Zombie Hostages

In this course of fire the competitors were confronted with a target with 14 humanoid figures. Four of these were hostages and were lighter in color than their captors (though just barely) who happened to be zombies. Well as all know the only true way to kill a zombie to shoot them in the head which in this case was approximately ¾” in diameter. The competitors engaged these targets in the prone position.

Stage IV – 50 YARD 5 DOT DRILL

In this classic course of fire the competitors engaged five ¾” dots from the prone position. Each dot was worth 20 points

Stage V - SPINNERS

In this course of fire the competitors engaged four spinning targets with one round each from an improvised supported standing position. Each hit was worth 25 points

Stage VI – 160 YARD STEEL

In this course of fire the competitors engaged a small steel plate (4”) at 160 yards in the prone position from a supported standing position over the back of a truck. The shooters took a total of four shots and were scored 25 pts per hit.

Stage VII – 100 YARD PLATE

In this course of fire the competitors engaged a 4” target approximately 100 yards from an improvised standing supported position utilizing a metal pole as a support. The shooters took a total of four shots and were scored 25 pts per hit.

STAGE VIII – LOW PRONE

In this course of fire the competitors engaged a 2” diameter metal target at approximately 63 yards from a low prone position through a low window on a barricade. The shooters took a total of four shots and were scored 25 pts per hit.

STAGE IX – MULTI SWINGERS FROM BARRICADE

In this course of fire the competitors engaged four swinging targets with one round each from an improvised position behind a barricade. Each hit was worth 25 points.

STAGE X – 400 YARD STEEL ( OR “THEY SAID IT COULDN’T BE DONE”)

In this 10th and final course of fire the competitors engaged the infamous 400 yard buffalo from an improvised position shooting from the window sill of the range house with a total of four rounds. Each hit was worth 25 points.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How big was the buffalo? I can hit a 12" gong at 400yards with match ammo only about 1 out of 10 times with my CZ 452 Varmint. Anything past 300 with that gun just goes sporadic. Not to mention the Oklahoma crosswinds can be a very fickle mistress.

Latest posts

Top Bottom