River Otter Track?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I know what's been stealing our Crappie...I had thought it was coons. Now I'm not so sure

Late last night sitting on the back porch of the Lake House (been drinking) I heard a commotion and some splashing down on the boat dock on Lake Hudson...I figured there was a coon trying to get into the fish basket. I went down to investigate with only a flashlight as I was not fit to handle a firearm at that moment :drunk5: . As I went down the ramp to the dock I saw something long and slender jump off the dock into the into the water. I caught another glimpse of it on the bank and thought it looked like an otter...

...now I didn't know we had otters in NE Oklahoma, so I was quite surprised! Scanning the bank, I found another 3 pairs of eyes staring back at me from the point. My flashlight was weak, so I couldn't get a good look at them.

Upon further investigation I found the dock covered in splashed water and only a scale left of my crappie :(

I checked the bank this morning for tracks, but couldn't find any as it is rocky.

I did find this one track on the dock. Does it look like a river otter track?

awww.cichlidforums.com_gallery_data_500_DSC_02811.jpg

ldmtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you might be right. I used to fish Hudson a lot and I would see an occasional otter up in Rock Creek.

Also use to see them on the nav channel.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
River otters have relatively HUGE feet. I may second the muskrat comment. Maybe eating a floater. Not positive though. Never seen an otter in the wild.

jarhead983

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As you can see, the track you have a photo of is very close to both of these, but I would agree with OKBassin that this is most likely a mink due to its size. And yeah, otter has infiltrated the biggest portion of Eastern OK from a little E of Tulsa up and down the stateline.

We do have nutria, not a lot, but we do have some. I even saw a few on the Lafortune park golf course.

Attachments

• minktracksmud.jpg
    minktracksmud.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 147
  • otterfront.gif
    otterfront.gif
    3.2 KB · Views: 138

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw some nutria and otters a buddy caught down in SE OK a few weeks ago. The otter are pretty big animals. I bet they would sure eat your fish.

Latest posts

Top Bottom