Rock Island 1903, advice and appraisal info needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My son has hit me up about a Rock Island 1903 he has come across. really he just wants to know what its worth, or what he could sell it for. Of course I told him, "whatever you can get some one to pay for it", but he wasnt impressed by my answer. Since I know next to nothing about milsurp rifles of this nature Im bringing it to you.

The serial number on the receiver puts it as manufactured in 1905, It was re-barreled in August of 1944. barrel at muzzle end is marked RA with armory proof (lit cannon ball) below that and 8 44 below that. from what he describes the bore is clean and bright. the rest of the gun looks fair to me. Of course, some body drilled an taped the receiver for a scope as well.
Obviously the stock is not original and the barrel has been cut. He measured it at about 22 inches. We are aware that sporterized rifles of this vintage are not nearly as collectible, we are just looking for some ball park info.
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thats a low SR #ed 03, anything under about 880,000 have a brittle receiver and are unsafe to shot standard volicity/pressure ammo in.
I know your'er trying to sell it but do you think that is a fare thing to do to some unknowing sole?

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats a low SR #ed 03, anything under about 880,000 have a brittle receiver and are unsafe to shot standard volicity/pressure ammo in.
I know your'er trying to sell it but do you think that is a fare thing to do to some unknowing sole?

are you asking me if I think its fair to let a potential buyer that there is a history of potential problems with the heat treatment of the receivers made prior to approximate serial number 880,000?
well, yes I think if I have knowledge of potential issues I would let them know. or perhaps Ill just include a copy of this http://m1903.com/03rcvrfail/ for any potential buyer.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Low serial number...it will be a hard sell to anyone who is aware of the issues surrounding the brittle receiver and bolt (if original). I doubt it, but you might be better off parting it out as it's not work much in it's sporterized form. Parting it out still won't bring much as there are few salvageable parts.

I would imagine that the Remington barrel was installed by bubba as most low serial numbered rifles were pulled from service if I remember correctly.

You might possibly find the right buyer in the $250-$300 range.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah CHL, that is what i had gathered from my cursory research. I told my son its really too bad its not in original condition, at least then it would make a decent collector piece or even a wall hanger just for the history of it. I also told him i would be very leary firing it, in fact i wouldnt even attempt it. With it bastardized the way it is on top of the potential heat treat issues i think its probably a boat anchor as a whole, and maybe slightly less so for parts. But like i said, i dont have an abundance of experience with these guns and i knew some of you guys would. I appreciate the feedback.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah CHL, that is what i had gathered from my cursory research. I told my son its really too bad its not in original condition, at least then it would make a decent collector piece or even a wall hanger just for the history of it. I also told him i would be very leary firing it, in fact i wouldnt even attempt it. With it bastardized the way it is on top of the potential heat treat issues i think its probably a boat anchor as a whole, and maybe slightly less so for parts. But like i said, i dont have an abundance of experience with these guns and i knew some of you guys would. I appreciate the feedback.

Jim,

If it is a rifle that your son would like to shoot, you might take a look at the chamber adapters that allow you to fire pistol ammo. I've heard of a few different people using the 32 ACP adapters in their low number 1903's with success. From what I've heard they are fairly inexpensive.

If he doesn't have too much money wrapped up in it, I would just leave it as is and possibly try an adapter. If he can find a cheap vintage scope, rings, base and a vintage leather sling it wouldn't make a half-bad wallhanger. Parting it out will probably only yield around $200-$250 since only the stock, bolt assembly, and triggerguard are the only parts with any significant value. They may be worth more or less depending on whether the triggerguard and bolt assembly are early original parts. If the bolt is a modified original it is a double edged sword as they were only single heat treated as well. That makes it hard to sell to someone needing a bolt for a working rifle and to the collector that needs an original non-modified bolt for a restoration. Unfortunately, the receiver itself is only good for a paperweight once it has been parted. The rifle may be basterdized, but at least it's whole at this point which probably makes it worth more than the sum of it's parts.

Latest posts

Top Bottom